Temp Increasing More Often Now!!!!!! HELP! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp Increasing More Often Now!!!!!! HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp Increasing More Often Now!!!!!! HELP!

ok guys. I came back from another trip last night, and when I got into town, my Temp gauge went wAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY up there. I'm wondering what it might be.

I'm leaning towards thermostat or the coolant.

How do I check these?
    I know where the coolant thing is, but how do I check to see if it's on the level it's supposed to be.
    I dont have any idea how to check a thermostat, or even what it is (I have a general idea, but.. thats it :D )

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Haynes or Chilton would tell you pretty quick. The coolant level can be checked (on a 1997 at least) by the dip stick connected to the cap of the coolant resovoir (not the radiator). The thermostat itself is just to the right of where the air enters your intake manifold, and just below that level. You may have to move an EGR hose to see it better. You can tell what it is by the large hose coming from the radiator to the top of the engine. The thermostat is under where that hose goes in. You remove 2 bolts on the bellhousing holding the thermostat, and 1 on the EGR hose. Either of the above manuals will give you a pictorial description too. Good luck!
    1997 Mystic Teal Firebird w/ T-tops<br />3800 II V6 A4<br />Custom dual exhaust, modified airbox, K&N filter, ground effects, more to come...

Comment

Don't open the coolant thing when its hot!
      1997 Camaro Y87. Turbo.<br /><a href=\"http://pureoctaneracing.net/\" target=\"_blank\">Pure Octane Racing</a>

Comment

Good call, didn't think to warn about that. Because you're only checking fluid level in the resovoir, you can open that when the car's hot. You shouldn't need to open the radiator cap, but if you do, let it cool down. It's like being burned with poisonous hot soup.
        1997 Mystic Teal Firebird w/ T-tops<br />3800 II V6 A4<br />Custom dual exhaust, modified airbox, K&N filter, ground effects, more to come...

Comment

Sounds like a stuck thermostat where its almost closed off.

Replace the thermo once it cools off and drain the coolant, add distilled water. Radiator = 3/4gal.
          2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
          Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Ok, typicaly i have found that when camaro engines are running low (really low) on coolent you will hear a loud and distinct gurrgaling sound comming from the engine.. it will sound like its comming from the passenger side (because the overflow tank it built onto the batt. holder) .. it will sound like there is a really pissed off small animal in there scrounging around.. other wise it could be your t-stat.. in that case look for puddles.. cause it can cause your overflow to do its job.. and well.. overflow..

good luck
            ~Billy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X