severe radiator probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• severe radiator probs

hey guys, i've got a nasty problem. first of all, after owning the car for a year (i know we were dumb) we first looked at my radiator--disgusting. there's stuff caked along the radiator and i don't know what it is...it's thick like mud. anyway, my dad and i flushed it and are still in the process...we're putting water and driving it a day and then flushing it and putting water back in there and slowly, the thing is getting cleaner. the problem is this: the stuff that is caked along the walls of the radiator (and also in the engine) is not coming off easily at all. we bought some flush stuff from walmart and used it the first time...but nothing really seems to help. any suggestions? will this hurt the life of my engine any? thx in advance, i'm stumped on this one and really need some advice/help.
    2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

and btw, my engine doesn't run hot. it's got a 180 thermostat and it stays 180; and it always has...so it's getting cooled, just looks nasty and like it's hurting something.

Comment

My radiator is the same way. Originally I thought that someone had mixed the old coolant into it. From what I have read on this site there are a lot of people who have the same crud in theirs. So I wouldn't worry about it.

If it really bothers you I would go to a few parts stores and look for any kind of coolant flush that comes in two seprate bottles. The first one is a mild acid, the second a base to neutralize the acid. I don't know of any specific brands, but if it comes in two bottles and has a warning about acid on it, it will definatly do the job.
      <a href=\"http://www.fatninjas.com/camaro\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Camaro Convertible</a>

Comment

This fits under general tech catagory.. I'm moving it there.
        Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

not a knock at you keith, but you're pretty knowldegeable, maybe some people post a marginal topic in adv. tech so they can get your attention? maybe some advice as well as a move, instead of just a move? maybe?
          2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

Hey, Sorry about that Jordan...

If I could.. honestly.. I would reply to every post that I have an answer too.. but I really just don't have all that much time now.

I have issues with my car.. I want to add more info to my website, especially Magnus FAQ.. I still have to do heads/cam install guide.. I have to put up a UBB for OBD-II hacking AND finish hacking our PCM's..

Honestly I don't even read everything anymore.. I usually skim most posts... and then decide what to do. Posts that I do get very involved with I read with a fine comb however.

To reply to this post......

If you don't flush your radiator ever, chances are you will get crud buildup.. especially if you don't use mineral free (distilled) water.. Its also possible you have dexcool and the old green stuf mixed in there..

I flush mine a TON.. always use distilled water too.

What I would do is this...

Disconnect both radiator hoses from the radiator.
            Completely flush the radiator as best as possible.. use simple grean, any harsh cleaner you can.. get that crap out of there.. and flush it good with water..

THEN..

Chances are your thermostat is probably gunky too.. so remove the thermostat.. then put the housing back on and tighten it down.. just enough so it seals..

Then take a garden hose and a radiator hose clamp (the screw tighten kind)... put the garden hose into the upper radiator hose (the one that attaches to the thermo housing) and clamp the hose down TIGHT around the hose..

Turn on the hose and let it run for a while. Watch it push all the crap out of your coolant system.. perhaps even turn the car on for a minute or so to turn the water pump..

Then drain it all... and put it all back together.. and mix your coolant with distilled water.

Also, it may be a good idea to lift up your battery and pull out your resevior tank and flush that as well.

Hope this helps. ;)
            Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

What do you guys do with all of this fluid that you drain? Is it safe to put down the drain?
              - JT3<br />1998 Red V6 Camaro Y87 Y3F - J.E.T. Chip Stage II - Clear Parking Lights - Removed Grill - K&N - Whisper Lid - !FRA MOD - MAF Screen Removed - Pro 5.0 - Pacesetter Headers - Magnaflow Catback - 32mm Front Swaybar - And A System(bump bump)

Comment

Do not put it in a drain..

Take it to a jiffy lube or something.

Comment

I had much the same problem with mine and I experienced some overheating also (usually when sitting in a drivethrough). I took my car to my trusted local mechanic and they removed the radiator and took it and had it rodded out, completely flushed, new thermostat, replaced all hoses (might as well since it's already dismantled ...), green fluid, etc., no problems since - also runs cooler even though before it rarely went over 180. Cost - about $200.
                  1997 Arctic White 3.8L Firebird A4<br /> T-Tops, Y87, W68<br /> SLP CAI, FlowMaster<br />2002 Black/Black Trans Am A4<br /> T-Tops, WS6

Comment

well that sounds like a great idea, all of it; but i have one problem with it all. isn't it bad for the engine to run cold water through it? i mean, that's why you have antifreeze in there, it stays relatively warm anually and then when it circulates in your engine it isn't cold like reg. water. any suggestions to this? also, what about the distilled water...should you flush your car with this also? thx.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                      Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                      by ssms5411
                      Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                      1 week ago
                    • RPDRed6
                      For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                      by RPDRed6
                      Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                      3 weeks ago
                    • ssms5411
                      No start problem
                      by ssms5411
                      So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                      4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X