150 mph speedo swap problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150 mph speedo swap problems

I got my 150 mph guage cluster the other day and put it in. It is a 98 car with a 98 cluster. anad the tach is off around 500 rpms at steady runn and way off at acceleration
    1998 Onyx Black Camaro A4 2.75\" Custom Flomaster Catback, Removed Cat, MTI Lid, Jet Power Programmer, K&N air filter, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, maf screen removed.

Thats to be expected, since its expecting 4 clicks and is reading only 3.
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

I've heard there is a resistor on the back of the cluster you have to swap over from your old one. I don't know where exactly it is though... Supposedly the two different clusters use different resistors to get the tach right.
      \'98 A4 Camaro v6-&gt;v8 conversion, and STS kit next<br />v6: 13.6 Powerdyne, 13.2 150 shot, 13.8 120 shot, 14.3 85 shot, 15.7 stock<br />v8(na): 12.18@113, 392rwhp<br />Moderator on <a href=\"http://www.mtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.mtfba.org</a> and <a href=\"http://www.frrax.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.frrax.com</a> (Road Race & Autocross)<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/johnduncan10\" target=\"_blank\">Car pics</a>, <a href=\"http://www.trscca.com\" target=\"_blank\">TN Region SCCA</a>

Comment

When a 150mph instrument cluster is installed, the speedometer works ok but the tach is the problem right? I was just wanting to make sure the speedometer works accurately. I think i can fix the tach problem.
        2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE D20 M5 - Modified ;) <a href=\"http://www.knightenmotorsports.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.knightenmotorsports.com</a> <br />[ U R L = h t t p : / / w w w . g e o c i t i e s . c o m / h e a r t l a n d _ h e a t _ v 6 ] Heartland Heat V6 [ / U R L ]

Comment

Both should be off. Look at them. The same place where yours read 120, now reads 150 in the same place. So it has to be off by the sheer fact that the Z28 gauges have smaller increments.
          <b>15.41</b> @ 89.80 & 15.45 @ <b>91.64</b>, 2.21 60ft, 3,440 raceweight, using <b>OEM</b> Equipment. <br />\'98 L67/M49 w/ 134,000 miles before spun bearing. \"<i>It\'s all stock, Baby</i>!\"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Both should be off. Look at them. The same place where yours read 120, now reads 150 in the same place. So it has to be off by the sheer fact that the Z28 gauges have smaller increments <hr></blockquote>

No, No, No. I have a Trans Am Cluster from a 99 in my 2000. THE SPEEDO WORKS FINE. If you just swap facesm then it will be off. If you swap the ENTIRE CLUSER, then it will work.
            <b>2000 NBM Pontiac Firebird</b><br />3800GT Performance Package<br /><br />Intake, Magnaflow Cat, Flowmaster Cat-Back

Comment

I put mine in last night and the speedometer works fine, it automatically corrects itself, but as for the tachometer you would have to take the dash apart, find out what the resistor looks like and put the original one (from your v6 dash) and replace it. The dash is pretty easy to take apart, I did it so I could match the odometer with my old one. So everything works correctly (except ur 2nd gear start button if u have that option AND the tach w/o the different resistor).
              *SLP Cold Air Intake<br />*RK Sport Welded Headers/Y-Pipe<br />*High Flow Cat. Converter<br />*B&B Tri-Flo Cat. Back<br />*Charcoal Leather Interior<br />*Fiberglass Fabricators SS Hood<br />*13.1\"/Dual Piston Corvette Brakes (Front)<br />*12\"/Single Piston Brakes (Rear)<br />*17\" ZR1 w/ 275/40/17 all round<br />*Z28 Dashboard Cluster<br />*99 Trans-Am Rear Axle<br />*35% Side & Rear Black Tint

Comment

What do you mean by taking the dash apart. Do you mean the back cover off of the guage cluster. Is it easy and possible to replace the resistor and odometer????
                1998 Onyx Black Camaro A4 2.75\" Custom Flomaster Catback, Removed Cat, MTI Lid, Jet Power Programmer, K&N air filter, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, maf screen removed.

Comment

As for taking the dash apart mine was fairly simple, I had no problems doing it. Just remember to keep track of which screws go where. As for the odometer I can't say anything cause mine is the pre 97 style where your's is the digital so I don't know how that would go. But I'd say just take a look at the tachometer and see if u can use the original one instead of the Z28 version.
                  *SLP Cold Air Intake<br />*RK Sport Welded Headers/Y-Pipe<br />*High Flow Cat. Converter<br />*B&B Tri-Flo Cat. Back<br />*Charcoal Leather Interior<br />*Fiberglass Fabricators SS Hood<br />*13.1\"/Dual Piston Corvette Brakes (Front)<br />*12\"/Single Piston Brakes (Rear)<br />*17\" ZR1 w/ 275/40/17 all round<br />*Z28 Dashboard Cluster<br />*99 Trans-Am Rear Axle<br />*35% Side & Rear Black Tint

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                    by ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                    1 week ago
                  • RPDRed6
                    For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                    by RPDRed6
                    Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • ssms5411
                    No start problem
                    by ssms5411
                    So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                    4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X