Replaced VSS... Still no Speedometer... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replaced VSS... Still no Speedometer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced VSS... Still no Speedometer...

I finally found the VSS and replaced it. It was on the passenger side of the car. I replaced it and the old one didn't look half bad. I installed the new one anyway and drove. No difference. Still reads 0 and bounces around whenever I hit a bump and sometimes holds between 10 and 25 when I'm doing 70... but anything under than 50 = 0.

What else should I check? The PCM SEEMS to know how fast the car is going...

Also could this be a bad Gauge Cluster? If I replaced the Gauge Cluster can I use any F-Body, make, model, and year gauge cluster? How will I reset the odometer?...

Would something like this
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33675
    work in my 97 Camaro?

[ May 11, 2005, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Need4Camaro ]
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

ttt

Comment

weird..are all the other gauges working fine?..maybe its some sort of wiring/fuse/relay problem

im not sure about the cluster..when i changed to a 155mph overlay i used a black robotics speedometer recalibrator to adjust..but the odometer is digital..the mileage isnt stored in the cluster..i believe its in the PCM or some other body computer
      <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

Originally posted by 1DangerousV6:
        weird..are all the other gauges working fine?..maybe its some sort of wiring/fuse/relay problem
        Yeah, every other gauge works fine besides the speedo, tripometer, odometer, and cruise control...

Comment

hmmm..yeah all of that comes from the VSS..i would check the wiring..and also the tranny to see if theres a problem between it and the VSS..if its the cluster..it doesnt take any more than 20 minutes to swap out..but im not sure about other years or V8s etc

EDIT -- actually..if you're not getting a trouble code and the car is working right..then like you said..the PCM must be getting the info..i would check out the wiring to the gauges..and the cluster itself..in my 98 the VSS wire to the cluster is white..but i dont know anymore than that..you may want to get a manual for the wiring diagrams

[ May 11, 2005, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: 1DangerousV6 ]
          <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

Okay, I'll be under the dash soon, tons of wires... Would you happen to know where to begin to look? and maybe what to check for?

Comment

i still say what i said before. go back to where you were working (you said something about led's or soemthing) and check all the connections around there. its gotta be a wiring problem.

either a bad ground somewhere, or somethings not getting power that should be.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
              Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Originally posted by Loochy88:
                i still say what i said before. go back to where you were working (you said something about led's or soemthing) and check all the connections around there. its gotta be a wiring problem.

either a bad ground somewhere, or somethings not getting power that should be.
                I don't see any other wires under the shift console... but okay... How do you COMPLETELY remove the console? How do you get the shifter off?

Comment

Fiddled around under the shift console... No go... The PCM obviously knows how fast the cars going... What about the gauge cluster... could it be bad? Sometimes when I stop and am really doing 0 the speedo reads 35 - 50 MPH... and bounces around when I'm dead stopped... then I step on the gas and it returns to 0...

Any suggestions?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X