crankshaft sensor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crankshaft sensor question

i have a 95 firebird 3.8l automatic and i have a ses ligh and its on all the time it will go off for alittle bit but i took my car to autozone to have them scan my car and they said the only thing that was poping up was the crankshaft sensor but my car runs fine except it doesnt really pilll out like usual and it doesnt accelerate normally and my exhaulst isnt as loud should i replace it and is it hard to change out it looks ez
    cold air intake <br />80 series flowmaster<br />no cat (straight pipe)<br />rebel flag

OK FORGET WHAT I JUST SAID I HAVE A ENGINE LIGH AND TRHE CODES COME UP AS THE CRANKSHAFT SENSOR BUT MY CAR RUNS PERFECT AND STARTS I WAS WOUNDERIN IS THIS SOMETHIN ILL REALLY NEED TO WORIE ABOUT
    cold air intake <br />80 series flowmaster<br />no cat (straight pipe)<br />rebel flag

Comment

You need to get it fixed. What is the exact number of the code you're getting?
      Matt
      1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
      Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

He's right get it fixed. As it gets worse you'll have trouble starting your car and your car will begin to shut off unexpectantly.
        95 Camaro 3.8L Y2K motor <br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/coriya71\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/coriya71</a>

Comment

the ses ligh has been on for at least 3mounths when will it start to go bad could it just b one of those codes poping up for no reason becasue ive had a the ses ligh read i had a bad throtle body positioning sensor but that code hasnt showed up in like 5mounths

Comment

It's not gonna stop working all of a sudden, but the PCM is being forced to use a different sensor for its information. If it's been on for that long, you really need to get it fixed. It's not something like a rear O2 sensor, it's important.
            Matt
            Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

ok one more question can sombody give me step by step clear instructions on how to remove the pully and put the sensor on becasue im going to autozone and put the sensor on in the parking lot they and hjave them loan me there tools my car is a 95 bird 3.8l automatic

Comment

Man....Ive been dealing with this crap all morning.....my car shot a 0336(Crankshaft sensor) code this morning and a 1441 (evap emmisions )code. Im about to take a trip cross country on friday and all this happens in one day....so I tape the hoses and lines with black duck tape to close any leaks and then look into how to fix the crankshaft position sensor and find out its more work then I have time for...so on the way home I hear a clicking noice on my wheel and since I had just done the breaks yesterday Im worried thinking I did something wrong. I pull over to get gas and ispect the rear wheel to find a damn large screw and washer in my tire which had to happen today....after all that I ended up just buying the CPsensor from auto zone and having the body shop install it for 80 bucks and fix my damn wheel. LONG DAY
                1996 Firebird-Y87:SLP Cold Air Intake,Y87 Perf. Package: 3.42 Gears w/ Zexel-Torsen LSD, Sport Steering(14.4:1 ratio), Dual Exit Exhaust,800 watt Pioneer Amp and Two 10\' subs with a custom trunk enclosure.

Comment

i went to autozone today and have them snam my car once again and the crankshaft sensor poped up and a emissions control popup up on the screen whats this mean is the crankshaft sensor seting off other codes and is that scanner thing at autozone accurate because i dont want to buy the sensor and hav the engin ligh stay on

Comment

The 1441 code is shooting because either u need a new fuel cap,or one of the vaccuum hoses is torn so go over all ur hoses with black tape and make sure their all seeled up then get your crankshaft sensor done fast or else the car will start dying and acting weird....and i think its gonna be a tough install unless you have the right tools...I got mine installed for 80 dollars...then go back to autozone if you do it yourself and have them clear the codes from your car and thats it.
                    1996 Firebird-Y87:SLP Cold Air Intake,Y87 Perf. Package: 3.42 Gears w/ Zexel-Torsen LSD, Sport Steering(14.4:1 ratio), Dual Exit Exhaust,800 watt Pioneer Amp and Two 10\' subs with a custom trunk enclosure.

Comment

i will it internally damage my car if in fact the crank shaft sensor is going bad or will it just cause my car to die im just curious because monday when i get my high flow cat im headed out of town and i want to b able to open up my car dawn the highway lol

Comment

Originally posted by the bandit:
                        The 1441 code is shooting because either u need a new fuel cap,or one of the vaccuum hoses is torn
                        It can be plenty of other things, including a likely candidate, the EVAP purge valve.

then get your crankshaft sensor done fast or else the car will start dying and acting weird
                        The engine should not die, nor should it start acting weird. With P0336 set the PCM will use only the 3X signal, instead of the 18X signal. This is not as accurate at low rpm as the 18X signal, but the engine will continue to run. You will also lose traction control.

and i think its gonna be a tough install unless you have the right tools
                        The only special tool you need is a pulley puller. You'll also need a breaker bar and a good torque wrench for the crank bolt, as well as a replacement bolt.

Originally posted by the bigCountry:
                        i will it internally damage my car if in fact the crank shaft sensor is going bad
                        No it's not going to damage anything, the PCM is just being forced to use backup information for ignition/fuel control.
                        Matt

Comment

U need to read everything all over again. Peace

Comment

U need to read everything all over again. Peace
                            Huh?
                            Matt

Comment

hey thanks 98camaro for your help

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X