rental car's detuned!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rental car's detuned!?

I was just surfing the net and ran accross something interesting. Someone rented an '05 Mustang V6 and was saying how slow it was. Someone responded that many rental companies actually detune car's like this, and said you can take it back to a dealer and get the pcm reflashed...So, my ? is, Is it possible some of our Camaros that were rentals had this done?

I carfaxed my car('97 Camaro M5) and I'm pretty sure it was a rental at one time in it's life as it was checked fleet/rental. Now I'm wondering if all the time I've had it, it's been detuned. Could I take it back to a dealer and get my pcm reflashed just to be on the safe side? Could a local repair shop reflash a pcm? How much $ would that be, and also, what exactly would reflashing the pcm do to increase/decrease performance? Thanks in advance.

I think that person is full of ****.
    \'99 SSM Camaro V6 M5<br />(mod list on cardomain site; too long to list here)<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6cam99\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6cam99</a>

Comment

Originally posted by camaroincal:
      Someone rented an '05 Mustang V6 and was saying how slow it was.
      I think I know the problem. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
      Matt
      1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
      Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by camaroincal:
        I think I know the problem. [img]tongue.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE][img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

Comment

Why would you ever buy a rental car? I think we all, myself included, have done horrible things to rental cars over the years.
          2002 Pewter V6 Camaro M5 <br /><br />Quickest stock-motor N/A V6 4th Gen F-body.<br />2nd Quickest N/A V6 4th Gen F-body overall.<br />mods: Gear, weight reduction, tuning <br /><br />Fear the Gear. 13.585 @ 100.05 1.827 60\'<br /><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.NJFBOA.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.NJFBOA.org</a>

Comment

Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by camaroincal:
            I think I know the problem. [img]tongue.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE][img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
            !! Drive it like you stole it !!<br /><br />I believe forgiving them is gods function, our job is to arrange the meeting <br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.azclubgp.com/garage.php?mode=viewgarage&u=202\" target=\"_blank\">2002 GTP 40th Anniversary Edition Sedan</a> <br />-------------<br />Mods:<br />3.4\" Pulley<br />rigged K&N Filter<br />14.3 et

Comment

well, I carfaxed my car like...over a year after I bought it...lol So, I think in a lot of cases of people buying used cars, they have no idea they used to be rentals, as was in my case. I mean, my car didn't appeared to be thrashed at all and drove great when I got it so....

Anyway, another thing. Lets say my PCM was detuned. Is reflashing it to get it back to normal basically the same as unplugging my negative battery cable over night?

Comment

Just curious but why are you posting this? Is your car slow or sluggish or are you just paranoid?
                1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

If they flashed your PCM simply unplugging the battery cable overnight wouldn't set it back to stock settings, it would have to be reflashed.

But I doubt the car has been detuned at all...

It's a Ford... That's why its so slow. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro:
                    Just curious but why are you posting this? Is your car slow or sluggish or are you just paranoid?
                    I'm just paranoid [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

well...I've been to Miami last week and rent a 2005 mustang hardtop, SLOW AS HELL!
                      I drive a M5, okay I'm not used to automatic...
                      but I've waited 1/2 second for kickdowns, and a ricer in civic has killed me...

I've looked on the web : 210hp, 1/4 @ 15.2s

??? I don't understand ... so slow compared to my camaro, feel like driving a 3.4

but better in handling.

Then I've rent a 2004 mustang convertible...even slower [img]graemlins/stickpoke.gif[/img]

the two cars were from avis and hertz.

[ May 12, 2005, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: FRENCH_CAMAROV6 ]
                      99\' Camaro M5 3.23 LSD<br />-SLP CAI,K&N,Whisper Lid,!MAF Screen<br />-2\'5 Flowmaster Catback <br />-BMR STB<br />-Kumho 712 supra 245/50/16<br /> <a href=\"http://www.camaroV6.fr\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.camaroV6.fr</a>

Comment

I'd really consider not buying an rental car... definitely none I have ever driven.
                        -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Or there's my friend who bought a used 03 V6 Mustang from a dealer that she told she didn't want a prior rental. I think what happened is the salesguy told her that the red one was a prior rental, and hers is maroon but her keytag said red on it.

I knew it was a rental as soon as I saw it from the LAX labels on the sunvisor and inner gas door, but I wasn't there when she was buying it. Oh well.

Another thing to look for is that the center of her bumper looks repainted. I think people drag suitcases out and scratch it, especially since I watched a friend do it to her car a few weeks ago.
                          <a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/New/IMG_0085.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Black 2002 Camaro M5</a>-SS takeoff muffler, B&M Ripper, K&N Filter, 35/20% tint, Infinity speakers, Viper alarm, perpetually breaking clutch return spring mod. 15.49@90.15<br /><a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/P14.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">Pewter 2002 Firebird M5 (Dad\'s Car)</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Little G:
                            Why would you ever buy a rental car? I think we all, myself included, have done horrible things to rental cars over the years.
                            ive done horrible things with a rental when i was 12...whats that show,lol

Comment

Welp whats done is done, he obviously owns the car whether it be a rental or not and I really doubt he's going to sell it just because the fact it's been a rental... unless it starts giving him serious trouble... He also said he looked at the carfax after he bought the car so he wouldn't have known unless he were to look at the carfax in the first place. We get excited, even I've bought cars without looking into their history and to tell the honest truth, the RS I have was a darn right lemon when I bought it but now you can't even tell it's the same car...

...If you're happy with your performance, as in you're not sluggish and your car feels peppy enough, then I seriously doubt if you have a detune... you'd know it trust me...

All around in the V6 platform, GM puts worlds of lengths on V6 Mustangs and Fords in general... I say it's quite amazing that we can hang or sometimes beat GT's (V8's depending on year and model) I've owned a V6 Mustang before, sucker was slow as H-E-DOUBLE-L ... I found myself gunning it at times just to get on the freeway!... Forget about racing, 3.4's were blowing me away...
                              1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X