AC Compressor or AC Clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Compressor or AC Clutch?

When ever i turn on my ac my compressor makes a pretty loud noise.

At first i was going to drop $350 for a new one but my friend said it could be just the clutch which is a $50 part Vs $350. Now how do i know for sure which one it is?

The ac works 100% good when the ac on despite the noise. It doesnt make the noise all the time it only makes it when this part on the compressor spins.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it sounds like it would be the clutch. Go to a local mechanic or an a/c repair shop and have them check the a/c unit. It should be very cheap just for them to check it out. Good Luck!
    2002 Z28 A4
    SLP Lid | TSP Rumbler | P&P Throttle Body | No Cats | 3.42s | M/T Drag Radials | No Front Sway Bar

12.76 @ 108.42 w/ 1.90 60’

Comment

Mine did that too and it was the compressor itself. Typically if it is making noise with the AC off then the problem is with the clutch. Mine made noise for almost a year before I changed it last week. The AC worked the entire time even though the inside of the compressor was probably almost completely destroyed.

Not to mention, a rebuilt compressor with a clutch is only about $200 and the clutch itself is almost $100. The clutch is just as much labor as the compressor replacement, so why not just change out the whole thing?
      1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

Comment

I'm sorry, I do not know that much about a/c units.
        I agree with Silver 99 Camaro.
        Now that I think about it the compressor in my moms car did the same thing till she got it fixed. But her whole a/c unit was bad not just the compressor, so it ended up costing her over 550 dollars!
        2002 Z28 A4
        SLP Lid | TSP Rumbler | P&P Throttle Body | No Cats | 3.42s | M/T Drag Radials | No Front Sway Bar

12.76 @ 108.42 w/ 1.90 60’

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X