car slipped and hit a sign post. oil leak questions - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

car slipped and hit a sign post. oil leak questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car slipped and hit a sign post. oil leak questions

so i was driving back soon after the damn winter storm started, figured i'll make it before it gets worse. little did i know it was already worse. anyways i slipped took down a sign post and hhit a relatively small tree. car was still on. tried to back out but i was stuck on an incline and wouldn't budge (damn open diffy) i got out made a call to a friend (with AAA to get it pulled out). got back in the car and temp was goin up(to 210 usually it says at 160-170. i have a 160 stat) and my oil guage was goin to red (towards the right) i turned off the car. i turned it back on later (bout 10-15 minutes) the oil guage read 0. there may have been a leak. perhaps. My question is if the oil did not leak what kinda sensor would I be looking at to make sure if thats not the problem. Thanks ... i hate snow
    Ummad!<br />2k pewter maro M5. 160 thermo, WhisperLid w/K&N Filter, Jet PCM Stage 2, Free Ram Air, Air Silencer Delete (purchased already and) waiting to install manual fan switch, air/fuel ratio guage.

Your first priority should be running at a high temp. I'm guessing that you cracked the radiator, and need to get that fixed first.
    After thats done, then diagnose the oil pressure problem. It may be a bad sensor. The oil pressure sensor is located on the front of the engine, right next to the oil filter. If the sensor went bad (or better yet, if it's leaking) then you're in luck! They are easy to replace and relatively cheap.
    sigpic

Comment

yea the oil pressure sensor is about $30-40 if i remember right, had to get that replaced when my dad had the bright idea of tryin to get my oil filter off from above the car. Told him not to do it that way.
      99\' W68 Firebird<br />SLP Ram air kit,Whisper Air Lid, k&n, 8mm Taylor Wires, Bridgestone Potenzas RE950, BMR Red LCAs, Pacesetter Headers and 3\"in catalytic converter with 2.75\" Flowmaster Cat-back<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/501008\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/501008</a>

Comment

Originally posted by 99W68Firebird:
        yea the oil pressure sensor is about $30-40 if i remember right, had to get that replaced when my dad had the bright idea of tryin to get my oil filter off from above the car. Told him not to do it that way.
        sounds like a good idea actually, if you have small enough arms. can it be done?

Comment

I change my oil filter from above.
          Matt
          1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
          Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Thanx Guys .. I'll check the coolant level ...then if oil in fact is low, fill it up and look for leaks ..if no leaks then change the oil level sensor .. hopefully its nothing major ... i'll keep you guys posted ... how much woul dit cost to replce the front bumper (part; new or used and more importantly labor) . i'll post a pic later .. og my air damn broke off too .. would it be unadvsable to drive without it ????
            Ummad!<br />2k pewter maro M5. 160 thermo, WhisperLid w/K&N Filter, Jet PCM Stage 2, Free Ram Air, Air Silencer Delete (purchased already and) waiting to install manual fan switch, air/fuel ratio guage.

Comment

Aight , My car is at the dealership now. drove it there (about a 3-5 minute drive from where it was towed to). i put in 4 quarts of Oil in there and still the needle showed 0. anyways their guess is OIL PAN broke. how much do u gius think that will end up costing me. there was some ticking noise coming fromt he engine too. That may be the rockers from running dry (make sense ?) will they be ok after the oil pan is fixed and there is more oil in the engine. i havn't gotten a call from them yet so no estimate .. but i am so scared of how much will this fiasco gonna cost me. I hate Snow [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

If the oil pan is broke, you're probably looking to spend an easy $300 from the dealer (just for the part). The dealer will always charge top-notch prices for parts. You were probably better off finding a junker oil pan and having it installed at a local shop. The dealer will most likely install a new one though, so at least you know it'll be done right.

As for the ticking noise; Hopefully you didn't run the engine dry too long and burn up your piston rings, valve guides, cam lobes, bearings, etc.
                If your engine was showing a zero (0) for oil pressure, it may be a spun/warped bearing, which can cost a WHOLE LOT more than $300, especially from the dealer!

Keep your fingers crossed, and good luck!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
                  I change my oil filter from above.
                  X2
                  96 Teal Firebird<br />Colchester, Essex, UK<br /><a href=\"http://www.centrestage.free-online.co.uk\" target=\"_blank\">www.centrestage.free-online.co.uk</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X