It's not the rear main seal that is leaking, but.... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's not the rear main seal that is leaking, but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not the rear main seal that is leaking, but....

My co-worker(Mechanic) has a friend who works at a Chevy Dealer and he tells him it's not the seal that is leaking, but the gasket. He said there is this plate right behind it and this gasket that goes on the plate is what goes bad, not the seal itself....
    So, I got his friend to get me a new gasket($2.63) and while i'm going to be at it, I ordered a clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot bear, throw-out bearing...got the seal already...
    [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
    1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

I posted on this a couple of weeks ago:

Interesting thought on oil leaks

Its seems its not a gasket problem, and thats exactly what the problem is. There's a gasket on the left and right side, but no gasket on the front and back only RTV sealant. What seems like a rear main seal leak because of the symptoms, is sometimes just oil seeping past the sealant. I've got what looks like a rear main seal leak, but it has coated the top of the tranmission also. I'm getting my transmission replaced soon and as a courtesy they change the rear main seal so I'll have them check where its actually leaking from.

[ August 09, 2002: Message edited by: Dojo2000 ]</p>
    ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

That post refers to the intake manifold on the top leaking down. My friend's friend said there is this gasket and metal plate behind the rear main seal. He said this was the problem behind the majority of mistaken Rear main leaks....
      1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

when i had my rear main seal replaced they also replaced the gasket on the 'crankshaft cover' or 'rear camshaft cover'. i have the bill and get more specific about this later. haynes doesnt seem to mention either in particular. i didnt think there would be a rear camshaft cover, this must be the fabled crankshaft cover?

Comment

Interesting.....See my other post about this....maybe we can go from there.
          Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

cleaning the house i finally found my repair ticket for the rear main seal replacement:

qty partno desc price
            1 25534760 seal asm- 0.137 14.38
            1 24507388 gasket 0.137 3.08

of course, labor is the killer--$416. this repair was covered under a warranty though so i was only responsible for $100. this was done at the dealership.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X