T-top Knocking/Tapping Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-top Knocking/Tapping Noise

My passenger side t-top started making a knocking/tapping noise over bumps at low speeds. I have done the following things:

1. Tightened it using the adjustment of the front and back brackets
    2. Lubricated the window seal with dielectric grease
    3. Taken the handle and plastic cover off, silicon greased the contact points, and put felt tape on the plastic cover surfaces touching the mechanism

All this and it hasn't even gotten any better. If I put my hand on the plastic cover, I can feel it knocking when it makes the noise inside the cover where the mechanism is. Am I missing something here or is there really nothing I can do to fix it? It is driving me nuts, I can even hear it when the radio is on!!!
    1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

On the adjustment brackets... Do you have any shims? You could possible take some of the shims out of th bracket, and that forces it to come down "tighter" then normal.

I set mine up so I usually have to lean on them before I lock them down. Its easy and I am used to it now.
    -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

I have heard that sub frame connectors do wonders for t-top cars, especially on thirdgens.

My t-tops on my thirdgen squeaked and rattled like hell sometimes. SFC's did wonders for that car.
      -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

Yeah there was a shim in each bracket, but they are tight. I have to push to get them on.

See, that's what's weird. You would think the noise is from the t-top moving around, and either tightening it or getting subframes would help. But the t-top is tight as hell, the noise is something coming from INSIDE the t-top plastic trim cover where the handle is located.

Comment

Take the cover off and see whats going on inside...

There is a "C-clip" pull that out, the handle comes off, then there is a screw on the ends then it pops off.

while there clean up the hinges [img]smile.gif[/img]
          -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

I did that already. Siliconed the crap out of the plastic contact areas and felt taped that metal mechanism where it might touch the plastic. Didn't do squat unless there is something I am missing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X