What to do at 30k miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do at 30k miles

Okay, my car just hit 30k miles on my last trip from home back to school and I was wondering what I should do to it. I was looking in the manual and I see that I should probably change auto-tranny fluid, rotate tires, and check/possibly clean the K&N. Is there anything else that the manual left out?

I just found my Haynes and it says to also change fuel filter, drive belt (was replaced about 2k miles ago), service cooling system, check differential lubrication, possibly change PCV valve, replace spark plugs, inspect wires, and check emissions systems.

I hate to say this, but I'd rather not do all that in the Haynes - I left all my tools at home and therefore would have to pay to have it done (or drive the 6 hour-round-trip to get my tools from home and back here). I only have a small ratchet set here with me (the extension in it is only a 3" - I couldn't even replace my own battery b/c it wasn't long enough), so if there's something that I could do with that, I'll try (if it's not too hard).

I know my mom and sisters are coming up to visit in about a week, so they could maybe bring anything I needed, but between then and now I know I'm going to be driving about 300-400 miles. I can't imagine anything on that list is that desprately needed to be replaced that it can't wait, but just FYI.

Thanks, Rob

EDIT: Oh yeah, I just remembered - under warenty at 14.5k miles I had the read end worked on for a whining, so the rear diff fluid was changed then, courtesy of GM.

[ February 04, 2005, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Rob@USC ]
    <b>2002 Pewter v6 Camaro</b><br />T-tops, Auto, stock GFX<br />mods: SSRA, Whisper lid, K&N filter, Borla cat-back, Pioneer HU, RF 6.5\" speakers, billet grill, clear corners, red tubing under hood, black CAMARO fill-in\'s, QTEC, GM power antenna, fan switch

Do you have an A4 or M5? If A4 I would change the trans fluid for sure. I would also change the fuel filter and check everything else, make sure their are no leaks anywhere like the power steering pump.
    2005 Cavalier LS Sport M5<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/firefighter8615\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/firefighter8615</a>

Comment

Well without tools you can still do some things..

Change Oil and Filter
      PCV Valve
      Clean Air Filter
      Rotate Tires
      Flush Cooling System

Comment

now v8 killer how are u supposed to rotate ur tires without tools? haha
        1999 Black Pontiac Firebird <br />2 Rockford Fosgate P312D4 subs <br />Hifonics Brutus 1205d amp<br />Clear Sidemarkers<br />18\" Arelli Jovan Chrome Wheels

Comment

I would just change the PCV, Fuel Filter and Tranny Fluid. Everything else is more than likely to be fine. Air filter is prolly still clean unless you did FRA mod. Rotating tires could be held off unless there is noticeable wear between frt and rr. Oil Change only if you haven't done it. Belt, just check it for cracks. Plugs "supposed" to last 100k, mine did. Cooling system supposed to be 5yrs or 150k, but people still change them every 2 yrs or yearly just to be safe. I had to change it at 75k since I changed the rr main, which leaked a lot of coolant out. But you can just take a look and see if you notice any mudding up of it. More than likely it's fine.
          1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

Belt, Fuel Filter, Fuel Injector Cleaner, Engine Oil, Tranny Oil, Diffy Oil, Coolant, possibly plugs if you really want to.

Tires should be rotated and balanced every 5,000-10,000 - so make your call whether they need it or not.

Im doing this on mine, I went with a gatorback belt... the old belt in 27K miles was cracked, and shiny. Not to mention, my alternator is now squeeking and I need to take it in to have it replaced under warranty. D'oh.
            2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
            Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Originally posted by bret_xi:
              now v8 killer how are u supposed to rotate ur tires without tools? haha
              LOL!

Yeah my bad one that one ;)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X