Should I be worried?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I be worried?

Ok so I have a 95 Camaro with the 3.4 v6. It has 124,324 miles and has been kept in good shape. Well here recently ive been noticing that when the car is cold and has been sitting for a little while and started, it smokes a little bit. In case your wondering its a bluish-white smoke so I know its some oil being burned off from somewhere. It only does it when its first started and cold and does it for maybe 2-3 seconds and thats it. Its time for an oil change already but its not burning oil and I know for a fact im not getting cylinder blow-by because after 3,100 miles the oil actually still looks like it did when I put it in only slightly darker so its not contaminated. Do you guys think its just a small amount of oil leaking past the valves when cold and sitting or what? Sorry if I sound like im obsessing over something small but non-the less this car is my baby so please tell if I should be worried. I know I probably shouldnt and its probably something small but just give some opinions on what it might be.
    1995 Arctic White Camaro. 3.4L/A4<br /><br />\"Stupid men make mistakes, wise men learn from mistakes\"

Could either be valve stem seals or piston rings on the way out.
    - Josh<br />If you have any questions or need installation pics/help, e-mail me: Viper98885@aol.com<br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/viper98885\" target=\"_blank\">\'93 Camaro Hardtop</a><br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/01lincolnls8\" target=\"_blank\">\'01 Lincoln LS8 Sport</a><br />\'00 Yamaha YZF-R6<br /><a href=\"http://www.ftpp.net\" target=\"_blank\">Full Throttle Performance</a>

Comment

Im pretty sure its not piston rings because it has plenty of power and the oil even after 3000 miles is hardly even contaminated which would be caused by piston blow-by from bad rings so I guess its just valve seals so im not gonna worry about it. Its not using any oil at all so I guess im good.
      1995 Arctic White Camaro. 3.4L/A4<br /><br />\"Stupid men make mistakes, wise men learn from mistakes\"

Comment

if there is smoke, yes be worried, just cause it isnt alot. my guess would be that your piston rings are getting worn out. you could do a compression check to find out or not
        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Eh oh well ill worry about it one of these days when im stranded on the side of the road somewhere lol. Then ill just get a new motor to go in it. I seriously dont think its rings but if I find someone who has a compression guage ill try it.

Comment

Marty85,
            Since you have high milage, since it only smokes when it is started up, since it smokes only for 2 or 3 seconds and since you have not noticed excessive oil use...I would say it is your valve seals.

It is not as bad as it sounds. If you are going to keep the car for a while, you can replace the seals without a major motor break down. I am not positve on our engines, but on most engines the seals can be replace by only removing the valve covers and using air pressure in the cylinder to keep the valves from dropping into the engine while you replace the seals. I know someone here has more detail instructions.

Hope it helps

DRTodd (still green but ripe)
            Dr Todd

Comment

I would agree that it's valve seals. When the seals are worn, the oil is allowed to drip into the combustion chamber. Then when you start it up, it burns off.
              2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

My guess [I'm not an expert] would be the valve guide seals as well. I wouldn't worry about it, maybe keep a good eye on the condition of your plugs? Honestly, though, I worry about any little thing that isnt perfect on my car...
                \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

Hmm you said when you first started it, smoke appeared...you sure it wasn't just condensation? The weather is getting cold now and all cars have visable "smoke-like" exhaust until they warm up when it's cold and humid. Maybe that's all it is.

Comment

No it does it even when its warm and plus ive smelt it and it smells just like burning oil so I know its oil. But its nothing major I mean it only smokes for maybe less 3 seconds if that long just when its first started. Usually really does it if its been started and warmed up and then cooled down for only a couple of hours and still slightly warm, thats when it does it the most. But its gotta be valve seals. Plus I think I know which cylinder it is to since I changed the plugs today and looked at them. Two of the plugs had slight carbon build up, they were 5 and 6. So I think those are the two doing it cuz all the others were perfectly clean. But im not worrying about it for now, maybe when I get the money I can get the heads p&p then have seals put in..who knows lol. Thanx guys for all your help.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X