Gatorback Belts=Annoying Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gatorback Belts=Annoying Noise

FYI...I put an Goodyear Gatorback Belt on a year ago and shortly thereafter noticed a high-pitched whine that changes with engine speed. Naturally, I figure like many other on the board I had a bad bearing on the idler or tensioner pulley, or my alternator was starting to go out which all seem like common problems. Just for fun, I put my factory, hard as rock, cracked belt back on an took a drive. SILENT! The Gatorback is back on since it cost 35 bucks and has a lifetime warranty, but I drive around with this horrible whine that people ask about. If you are looking for a serpentine belt, stick with a standard belt from Dayco or Goodyear, these Gatorbacks are loud! The "Quiet Belt" my a$$.
    1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

Mine is completely quiet.
    <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Mines been a dream.
      <b> \'95 Camaro 3.4L A4 <i>Rikku</i><br />AutoX - Drift - Street </b><br />\"Sideways is faster.\"

Comment

mine started out loud as hell, then got really quite, now the damn things loud again too...? Damn gatorback
        -Chris<br />2001 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Current Mods: NOS Dry Kit and a few others<br />N/A: 15.5@88.9MPH<br />N2O: ??? <br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/jtusa69888\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/jtusa69888</a>

Comment

did you guys put it on upsidown?

mine has been quiet since day one, and it says right on the package "our quietest belt ever"

Comment

I flipped it...tried both directions with the same result.

Comment

Maybe you bought a bad belt . Try to replace it !

Edit : Try to get goodyear to send you a free replacement belt !

[ October 22, 2004, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: ARTFART ]
              98 silver camaro t-tops , loaded<br />NGK plugs , Taylor 8mm wires , Optima Red Top .

Comment

How long are belts suppose to last anyway ? My car has 83k miles on it and I dont think it has ever been changed , and it still looks real good !
                98 silver camaro t-tops , loaded<br />NGK plugs , Taylor 8mm wires , Optima Red Top .

Comment

They sound like you have a blower under the hood sometimes. SOme of my customers like the sound, others whine like little biznatches. I'm all for a loud engine, valvetrain, exhaust, belts etc, the louder the better.
                  MODS:<br />3.4,Crower cam, K-motion valvesprings, Heddman Longtubes, BBK AFPR, Accel Coil, 36mm/23mm Sways, Boxed LCAs/Panhard bar, Mutant Nitrous wet kit, Mr. Gasket Cutout, 10.02 1/8 mile at 67.2 mph UNTUNNED no spray

Comment

I think these cars ...and many cars for that matter, are just prone to noisyness. I have a bad habit of turning off my radio and listening to all the little noises my car makes and I start thinking it's falling apart. So lately I've been turning up the radio and just having fun, screw the noises...lol

Comment

Originally posted by speedy-v6-camaro:
                      Mine is completely quiet.
                      Same here.
                      I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                      CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                      FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

My gatorback is really loud too. I have had 3 gatorbacks on in the last year (the first 2 shredded), and the first 2 were really quiet, the one that is on there now is extremely loud at times, sometimes its quiet. I dont see how anyone could like a noise like that.
                        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/483076\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/483076</a> <br />TSP rumbler, straight pipe, corvette servo. <br />Soon - 3.42+lsd,headers, cai,

Comment

Mine has been noisy since I put it on. You can do a search for a thread I started in here. But, yeah, it's common for these to make noise, it's from the ribs on it. My stock belt went out at 61k miles, taking the oil sending unit with it.
                          2000 silver A4 Camaro<br />Whisper lid; Free Ram Air; BMR stb; MSD super conductor wires; Gatorback belt?<br />1986 RX-7 (daily driver)

Comment

It does sound like a supercharger, and it is worse sometimes and other times not there. I could try to get a new one for free, but if there is nothing wrong with the car, why bother?

camaroincal...no kidding! When I shut my radio off I start getting worried! There's a creak, 2 squeaks, a rattle, and the clunking posi unit. This car is noisy at 57K!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                              Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                              by ssms5411
                              Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                              1 week ago
                            • RPDRed6
                              For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                              by RPDRed6
                              Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                              3 weeks ago
                            • ssms5411
                              No start problem
                              by ssms5411
                              So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X