Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible cylinder misfire.

Hey Guys,
    last night, i was driving my car on the highway to my girlfriends. I got there and got out of the car
    When i got back in and shifted into reverse i felt the car idling rough.
    I shifted into drive, and the car did not sound normal, it sounded deeper, and the throttle response was crap. The service engine soon light was blinking on and off constantly.
    This kinda happened before, and i found out it was a busted ignition coil.
    I was screwing with the sensors on the intake manifold the other day, so that might have something to do with it, but i don't know, because it happened a day or two after i was screwing around with them.

Has anybody else had a problem like this, if so, how did you solve it?
    Thanks alot,
    Ron
    1996 Pontiac Firebird<br />Flowmaster Exhaust, Custom Cold Air Intake, 3.42 gears with LSD

Flashing SES means miss strong enough to cause catylyst damadge. Look at the plug wires first. Make sur ethey are ok and not burn and attached well to the plugs and coil packs. If the check engine light stays on you can scan it and make sure that there is no other codes other then the P3000 Random missfire code that you picked up
    1996 Silver camaro Z28. M6,<br />12 bolt, 4.11\'s, posi, Rear cover, Spec stage 2, loudmouth, more <a href=\"http://home.mainstreamtopics.com/?index=3&module=1\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.mainstreamtopics.com/?index=3&module=1</a> &lt;Mods, Pics & more <a href=\"http://home.mainstreamtopics.com/?index=3&module=2\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.mainstreamtopics.com/?index=3&module=2</a> &lt;Fbody Tech Articals

Comment

Ron,

Here are a few more things you might want to try to narrow the problem down.

1) Remove one plug wire at a time, stick a screwdriver (with a plastic, or other nonconducting material, handle) into the boot, so as to make contact with the clip. Hold the metal portion of the screwdriver close to something metal (I typically hold mine close to where all 4 brake lines come together just right of the intake). Crank (or have someone crank for you) the engine and see if you get a bright blue spark jumping between the screwdriver and the brake line). If you do get a spark that plug/coil is most likely ok. If you do not get a spark, then that plug wire or coil is most likely fOObarred.

2) Check to make sure your plugs are fixed tightly in their sockets.

3) Make sure the plugs aren't bad. If you've never seen a bad plug before, check out bosch's website, they have an adobe acrobat file that depicts bad and good plugs.

Try those three, i think you'll find that one of them is the source of your problem.

Chris
      Now, how badly do YOU want to see my brake lights?<br /><br />Pacesetter headers, 3 inch y pipe, high flow cat, magnaflow catback, many suspension mods, intake, built a4 with 3200 torque converter, 5 angle head job, dis 4, firewires, etc etc....

Comment

just take out the plug put it on its wire ground the threads and see if the plug firs this way your check the coil wire and plug and this is also the way MSD says to do it
        www.turbov6camaro.com
        1997 3800 Series II Camaro
        4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
        7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
        11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I went over to autozone and they scanned my codes. It said cylinder 6 misfire. So i jacked up the car to look at the plug. The wire was burnt straight through from the heat. And being cylinder 6, the biggest wire in the whole bunch, i had to use a shorter wire that i had lying around, so it is tight across the manifold.
          Autozone said they wud replace it, so im gonna go there tommorrow and check it out.
          Is there anything i can put on the wires, besides plastic to make sure they don't burn?
          I saw underneath the car, a clothlike covering over some of the sensor cables. My dad said it sounded like fiberglass.
          Have you guys heard of these kind of sleeves?
          Thanks,
          Ron
          1996 Pontiac Firebird<br />Flowmaster Exhaust, Custom Cold Air Intake, 3.42 gears with LSD

Comment

Ron,

Fiberglass is good, it can only help, but it the plug wire shouldn't be anywhere near those headers or their heat shields. When you get new plug wires, run the #6 wire along the intake manifold (make sure there is loom on the wire, they shouldn't touch metal) and back to the rear passenger side of the car. You should get performance wire combs from Autozone (5 bucks) they hold the wires away from heat, and metal. Thats your best bet.

Chris
            Now, how badly do YOU want to see my brake lights?<br /><br />Pacesetter headers, 3 inch y pipe, high flow cat, magnaflow catback, many suspension mods, intake, built a4 with 3200 torque converter, 5 angle head job, dis 4, firewires, etc etc....

Comment

http://www.ftpp.net/V6Ignition.htm

Accel 25-FT Pro Sleeve Wire Guard for 7-8mm

tell them Andrew sent you
              www.turbov6camaro.com
              1997 3800 Series II Camaro
              4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
              7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
              11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

wow sweet . thanks andrew

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                  by ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                  1 week ago
                • RPDRed6
                  For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                  by RPDRed6
                  Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                  3 weeks ago
                • ssms5411
                  No start problem
                  by ssms5411
                  So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X