Engine whining sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine whining sound

Whenever my car is idling it makes a whining sound from the engine bay. It gets louder the more I accelerate but dissapears at about 50 mph. I know it is not supposed to be as loud as it is because i'm by other 3.8's all the time and they dont have that sound. Its becoming really annoying, Its even louder than my flowmaster 80 series. Any ideas on what it could be or what I should do? Thanks ahead of time for the help.
    1999 silver firebird: whisper lid, KN, Flowmaster 80 series, 3:42 gears

Sounds like your alternator is going out. Have you opened your hood with the car running and listened around to see where the whine is coming from?

Comment

yea, it sounds like its coming from the belt area.
      1999 silver firebird: whisper lid, KN, Flowmaster 80 series, 3:42 gears

Comment

Most likely alternator.

Comment

Alternator, belt tensioner, waterpump, even the belt itself can make noise like that, but I'm with camaroincal on my vote: probably the alternator, given your description.
          \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

If not alternator, then listen up. I recently had an idler pulley go out on me. They have a small bearing inside and on mine, it somehow stripped itself out. You can get a replacement at most any auto parts store. *Be Sure* when you take it off to loosen the opposite way of what you would think....they are reverse bolted on.
            1997 30th Ann. Camaro RS <br /><br />Aluminum CAI, Magnaflow Cat-Back, Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cat., 160 Thermo. <br />B&M Shift Plus, Taylor 8mm Spiro Pro Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs

Comment

more than likely your alternator belt my brothers just went on this stratus sounds like the same thing.
              1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

In the last 2 years I have had to replace the alternator, the waterpump, and the tensioner pully on mine all of these things made this sound.
                Remember that sometimes, silence is the best answer.<br />Warren White<br />1996 PoloGreen Coup <a href=\"http://vampyr.settanni.net/\" target=\"_blank\">http://vampyr.settanni.net/</a> <br />\"Jealousy\"<br /> CTFBA member of the month Sept 03

Comment

me too.
                  Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

I just recently replaced my alternator, it was making a whining sound. I replaced the tensioner, but that didnt help. A little bit of advice, replace it now, b/c if you dont, all of a sudden you'll be driving, and your windows wont work, your lights will dim, and eventually your car will die.

PS. If you do it yourself, once you get the belt off, start it up for a second, it will bada$$!!
                    Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

Could be a number of things. I have a whining sound coming from mine too, first I thought it was my belt tensioner AGAIN. But it's coming from AC compressor area, that little AC clutch or whatever at the front of the AC compressor. Mine is pretty loud, my friend thought it had a supercharger the first time he heard it. LOL
                      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2093533\" target=\"_blank\">CarDomain Page</a>

Comment

go get your alternator tested for free and go from there
                        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X