Do I have a ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have a ...

I got my car used about a year ago . And sence then the temp gauge never goes past the second notch , Im talking about the notch after the one where it sits when the car is cold before its been run . Well it has never been past the second notch and most of the time its a little below it . I was wondering if the previous owner put in a 160 thermo . My car is driven for an hour and sometimes 2 hours in a row . Eh.. this is kinda wordy guys , Sorry its late , but I was just wondering ...
    98 silver camaro t-tops , loaded<br />NGK plugs , Taylor 8mm wires , Optima Red Top .

yo should be happy about that, but it could have a 180 or 160 thermo in there
    www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
    7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
    11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Its definitely nothing to worry about. As Viper said, if anything you should be happy. This will five your car more power since the 3.4 and 3.8 lose power once they get hot. Matter of fact, do a search on 160 degree thermostats and see how many people actually recommend it.
      1995 Arctic White Camaro. 3.4L/A4<br /><br />\"Stupid men make mistakes, wise men learn from mistakes\"

Comment

FWIW, it could do that with a stock thermo also. The only time mine ever goes over that mark is when I'm sitting still with the A/C (and therefore fans) off, and I have the stock thermo. ;)
        Matt
        1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
        Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

does the gauge always stay there or does it start cold and then remain at that temp? Are the fans on all the time? do you have an SES light? some troube codes will cause the fans to run all the time.
          1996 Silver camaro Z28. M6,<br />12 bolt, 4.11\'s, posi, Rear cover, Spec stage 2, loudmouth, more <a href=\"http://home.mainstreamtopics.com/?index=3&module=1\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.mainstreamtopics.com/?index=3&module=1</a> &lt;Mods, Pics & more <a href=\"http://home.mainstreamtopics.com/?index=3&module=2\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.mainstreamtopics.com/?index=3&module=2</a> &lt;Fbody Tech Articals

Comment

mine stays like that too,but I do have the manual fan switch :D

Comment

Yeah , Im happy about it guys ! My old 88 camaro was ALWAYS having overheating issues . I think those old 2.8s have the crappiest cooling system on it . It's like a difference in daylight in dark compared to my 98 , its wonderfull .
              98 silver camaro t-tops , loaded<br />NGK plugs , Taylor 8mm wires , Optima Red Top .

Comment

Originally posted by HBHRacing:
                does the gauge always stay there or does it start cold and then remain at that temp? Are the fans on all the time? do you have an SES light? some troube codes will cause the fans to run all the time.
                No it does not remain at that temp . I am not getting any codes . No , the fans arent on all the time . Thanx for the help !

Thanx for the replys guys ! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think this system is just much better than my old camaro ! [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                  by ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                  1 week ago
                • RPDRed6
                  For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                  by RPDRed6
                  Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                  3 weeks ago
                • ssms5411
                  No start problem
                  by ssms5411
                  So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X