92 octane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 octane?

ive been wondering if i should use 92 octane rather than 87. from what ive heard it doesnt really help at all, and youre paying extra $ for nothing. wadya guys think?

our cars are made to run at 87. unless you have knock, i wouldn't waste your money on it.
    2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

This topic has been talked to death. Just do a search and you'll probably find about 40 topics about it. It all comes down to whether or not your running N20 or a super/turbo charger. If not, then don't waste your money on the higher octane gas. The only thing it does is reduce car weight by reducing the amount of money in your pockets. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
      <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/maniacls1\" target=\"_blank\"><b>2001 Firehawk #155 of 504 -M6</b></a><br />437 RWHP / 404 RWTQ -Dynojet (heads/cam)<br />12.34 @114 mph 1.7 60\' (bolt-ons only)<br />12.47 @116 mph 2.0 60\' (street tires, heads/cam)

Comment

or if you have raised the compression of your enigne via milling heads etc..

Comment

I have used 87, 89, and 92/91, and I have noticed a difference with all three. If you're running bone stock and not running the engine hard, then you should be fine using 87. With some of the basic mods, and hotrodding it a bit, you should be fine using the 89. The place that the 91 really helps out is in the top end, but I have noticed that my engine is a bit peppier across the band running the 91 (I normally cruise at about 2800 to 3000 rpm).
          Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

I use 93, but don't really need to, but I tow a Jetski w/ my car, So I'm sure it doesn't hurt.

Comment

My car hates 87 in the summer. So I've been running 93, at $1.60+ a gallon. It's been a hot summer up here.

I don't like to do this because my owners manual says to use 87. I don't want to pay more if I don't have too.

The motor does'nt knock on 87, it rattles. The manual says this is normal, but I can feel the power loss.

I put 93 in, and the rattle goes away. Floor it, full power. I can run 87 in winter.

What gives?
              1989 Trans Am, 305 TPI 5-speed, 4 wheel disc, 3.73\'s, T-Tops. \"The Toy.\" 1997 Camaro V-6 T-Tops \"The Daily Driver\"

Comment

I heard if you put the big $$$ gas init it will make it slugesh so i went to 87. no diff to me.
                -FLOWMASTER 80 series exhaust dual out,K&N air filter.<br />-Bright Rally Red, 1993 Camaro V6 automatic. No BIG mods yet! But who needs alot of mods when you have 160 hp? Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 tires 245/50-16\'s \"Great tires\" <br /><a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/P13.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/P13.JPG</a><br /><a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/P23.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/P23.JPG</a>

Comment

Heres what you need to do. Fill it 87 but every few weeks or so, fill it with 92/93 (Amoco premium is the best) to basically flush out your fuel system. My car does run a little better with premium in it but its not worth it to always use it.
                  <b>Black 1996 3.8L Firebird A4</b><br />--------------------------<br />Custom CAI, Flowmaster Dual Exhaust, 160 Deg Thermo, BMR ShockTower Brace<br />JVC mp3 HU, two 12\" Infinity Kappa Perfects, Infinity 6.5\" components, JBL 600.1 & 80.4 amps <br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/479229363CPbPiz\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a>

Comment

I use 91 (93 most of the time) because of the timing on the jet chip. I used it before also, because it seemed to last longer than the cheap stuff. It helps to minimize detonation, because it's harder to burn, but may leave deposits in the combustion chamber and valves because of this. That's why I use a fuel system cleaner when I get my oil changed. Before I even got the jetchip, I was gonna continue to use it because I'm gonna install an MSD DIS4, jacobs or msd blaster coils, and use and extended plug gap of .065.

You probably don't need it though (91 octane), but at least use mid grade. 87 is dirty fuel.

Oh, you might be able to get a little more timing out of your car using higher octane fuel at least 30 minutes (driving time) before going to the track. Supposed to be some "hot rod" trick.

Hope this helps. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ August 18, 2002: Message edited by: AMinor65 ]</p>
                    <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

im gonna start using 89 octane, that sounds like the way to go. i think the higher the octane , the higher the amount of detergent in the fuel (with chevron, anyway).

thanks guys [img]graemlins/dunce.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                        Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                        by ssms5411
                        Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                        1 week ago
                      • RPDRed6
                        For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                        by RPDRed6
                        Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • ssms5411
                        No start problem
                        by ssms5411
                        So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                        4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X