Frustrated w/ GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated w/ GM

I replaced my manifold O2 sensors this weekend. Bought Bosch sensors before hand and started the project Friday after work. Replaced my tie-rod ends first then moved onto the sensors. Of course, by the time I got the first one out and realized that the replacement sensors did not have the same connector, it was 8:45 and Advance closes at 9:00. Run over there just in time, and after a lot of hastle and brain storming, find out that they did give me the correct part, just somehow my 97 uses model year 98 O2 sensors in the manifolds. :mad: Which they only had one of. :mad:
    What the hell is the deal. So far, my 97 firebird has a model year 96 tranny and model year 98 sensors.
    \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

production year means more then anything esle.

But what are you doing buying advance 02 sensors. You will regret not getting delco
    1996 Silver camaro Z28. M6,<br />12 bolt, 4.11\'s, posi, Rear cover, Spec stage 2, loudmouth, more <a href=\"http://home.mainstreamtopics.com/?index=3&module=1\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.mainstreamtopics.com/?index=3&module=1</a> &lt;Mods, Pics & more <a href=\"http://home.mainstreamtopics.com/?index=3&module=2\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.mainstreamtopics.com/?index=3&module=2</a> &lt;Fbody Tech Articals

Comment

yeah man...my car is a 98 but was produced in 97...that answered a LOT as far as some of the computer issues and stuff like that...when it comes to the o2 sensors i get delco or just go to the dealer even thouhg its more money...you know how those things are...they can last a day or a decade...and yes...they ARE frusterating lol...i would expect your car to have some 96 parts...the 98 parts is kind of strange though...maybe someone put in those parts before you had the car?
      <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

I can understand having some leftover parts from the previous year, but how do they mix and match a year back AND a year forward of the model year?

Why couldnt they give me something useful like 98 rear disc brakes.

Yeah... Im sure I would have gotten anywhere trying to deal with GMPartsDirect or a dealership trying to figure out the right part number. That, and I was in a pinch and needed to get them in before the end of the month to pass emissions (main reason).

Comment

Originally posted by 1DangerousV6:
          ...the 98 parts is kind of strange though...maybe someone put in those parts before you had the car?
          they would have had to change or re-wire the wiring harness for the 98 style connectors. I dont think anyone would have gone to that trouble.

Comment

^^^hmmmmm...true...thats really strange...never heard of that before
            <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

My previous car, an 87 Cavalier, had an 88 electrical system... it was built in May 1987, probably right when they were switching over. So I guess you have to watch when they get built... if it's near a switchover time, there may be some strange things in there.
              2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by ellik:
                </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 1DangerousV6:
                ...the 98 parts is kind of strange though...maybe someone put in those parts before you had the car?
                they would have had to change or re-wire the wiring harness for the 98 style connectors. I dont think anyone would have gone to that trouble. </font>[/QUOTE]what the different in the O2 sensors harness?
                www.turbov6camaro.com
                1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

different type of connector wired into the harness.

the part number for 96/97 is a rectangular connector where the 98+ connector is a square connector.

either way, the passenger side is a real son-of-a-***** to get to as the connector lies right beween the back engine hoist bracket and the firewall and there is NO slack, at least not with headers.

Comment

umm mine has sqare ones too!!! lol 4 wire sqare right?

really i have lots of slack with the headers on..... umm
                    www.turbov6camaro.com
                    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                    7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                    11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

yeah... there square. ?? the part# for 96/97 pulled up a rectangular connection? when I installed the passenger side, I put the sensor in the bung, and had to pull the wire up to the connector coming out of the harness and there was no more than 1/4 - 1/2" play from being tight. sucked because I had to do all the work behind the enging hoist bracket w/ no room to work. getting it out was the same way. I remember it being a PITA to hook back up when I put my headers in too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                        Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                        by ssms5411
                        Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                        1 week ago
                      • RPDRed6
                        For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                        by RPDRed6
                        Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • ssms5411
                        No start problem
                        by ssms5411
                        So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                        4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X