Please read...I'm concerned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please read...I'm concerned

whenever I start my car when it's cold I hear this horrible clanging sound inside the engine. It's as if the oil all dripped into the pan and it's not lubricating the internal components. Usually after a lowly 1,200RPM rev about 2 times will make it shut up. I'm just concerned about weather this is a possible problem.

On a side note, changing to higher octane did "seem" to fix my problem but I can't afford using this gas. With 87 octane I'm using up $250 in gas a month on my car so any other suggestions/ideas would be helpful.

dayam! thats an average of $65 a week in gas! [img]graemlins/omg.gif[/img]
    6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Comment

thats how much goes for my gas a week :/ i fill it every 3 days almost :/ and gas is about 1.80 here (i use high octane)

Comment

If switching to a higher octane solved your problem, then dont worry about the oil, because your issue is with knock.

But more likely it is just that your oil has drained back to the oil pan when you park. This happens in everyones car. Some more extreme then others, otherwise we couldnt drain the oil to change it. However it is possible that your oil pump is having problems when you start the car priming itself. Or perhaps the increased viscosity of the oil when it is cold is making the oil pump work harder and it is close to going bad completely. If you are really concerend about the noises, you are gonna have to take your car to a shop. Its hard for message board members to give a diagnosis without hearing the sound.
        Jared W. Drummond<br />jdrummon@vt.edu<br />1997 3.8 Firebird M5<br />-----------------------------------<br />*Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler* *SLP Cold Air Intake* *Zexel-Torsen LSD* *1-Piece DS* *Eibach Pro-Kit* *Removed MAF Screen* *Manual Fan Switch* *Mobil 1 Oils*<br />-----------------------------------<br />*Pioneer Premier DEH-920R Headunit* *Orion Cobalt 6 1/2\'s* *Sub Stealth Box w/ Alpine SWR-1021D* *Kenwood 728S Amp for Sub*

Comment

well I'll sit on it and wait...I have extended warranty for another 35,000mi...if something will go wrong, it'll happen by then.

As for gas...it's $1.48 for the 87 octane here and I fill up ever 1 - 2 days. :eek:

I hate this I put over 100mi on the car a day.
          I travel to FAU and work and then way south to visit friends and then back home...it's a really long trip for me :(
          But the drive is fun :D

Comment

:D Hehehe Atlanta is great, gas is $1.16 here. :D

As for your problem, could it just be everything being tighter from the cold then expanding back out to normal with a few revs to heat it up?
            <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/maniacls1\" target=\"_blank\"><b>2001 Firehawk #155 of 504 -M6</b></a><br />437 RWHP / 404 RWTQ -Dynojet (heads/cam)<br />12.34 @114 mph 1.7 60\' (bolt-ons only)<br />12.47 @116 mph 2.0 60\' (street tires, heads/cam)

Comment

Neglagence(sp?) can void your warranty.
              [img]graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img] sucks
              - JT3<br />1998 Red V6 Camaro Y87 Y3F - J.E.T. Chip Stage II - Clear Parking Lights - Removed Grill - K&N - Whisper Lid - !FRA MOD - MAF Screen Removed - Pro 5.0 - Pacesetter Headers - Magnaflow Catback - 32mm Front Swaybar - And A System(bump bump)

Comment

Sounds like a maybe piston slap?
                have the dealer check it out ASAP.
                -Steve

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X