Ported TB, upper intake, & lower intake - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ported TB, upper intake, & lower intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ported TB, upper intake, & lower intake

im interested in eventually getting these 3...i found the intakes on supersix ...they even give you a core...but i couldnt find a ported TB..anyone know where to get one?..James if you see this...where did you get yours?...thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Most people do their throttle body themselves.

http://www.glue.umd.edu/~kraeuter/video.html

Check that out for info, or Magnus's page.

Comment

kick @ss...thanks!
      <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

I have done this mod before and I would say don't do it from my experience. I noticed a negligible difference after doing it and my MAF readings were way off even with the screen in when the bottom post was removed. I ended up getting a new throttle body and MAF and now it runs better than before, my warning to ya! As far as the ported/polished upper and lower intake plenums, that shouldnt be a problems (the ones from super six), but I dont have any personal experience to justify that.
        1997 Pontiac Firebird 3.9L<br /><br /> - TSP Dyno Tuned<br /> - Bored 0.040<br /> - ARP Rod Bolts / Head Studs<br /> - Custom CAI<br /> - Pacesetter Ceramic Headers / !Cat<br /> - 3\" Catback w/SLP Firehawk Muffler<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/649312\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/649312</a>

Comment

Originally posted by cboney2003:
          I have done this mod before and I would say don't do it from my experience. I noticed a negligible difference after doing it and my MAF readings were way off even with the screen in when the bottom post was removed. I ended up getting a new throttle body and MAF and now it runs better than before, my warning to ya! As far as the ported/polished upper and lower intake plenums, that shouldnt be a problems (the ones from super six), but I dont have any personal experience to justify that.
          but if i dont have a ported TB..wont it not make that much of a difference with the ported intakes since the TB is before the intakes?..ya know like putting a supercharger on but having the factory exhaust?..or will it still be pretty much just as good?..thanks for the warning..right now its kind of just a thought..to bring down the ET a little bit for $420 (cost on supersix) wouldnt be so bad [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

TB is so minor that it's not really worth it. The tuning to make it beneficial would be a pain in the ***, and by the time you got it tuned you'd hardly see any gain. Intakes and Heads are worth it, but TB is not.
            Matt
            1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
            Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

cool...well that just makes it easier then...thanks guys!

Comment

our TB should take in way more air than our engines would need unless a serious build up happened.

If the LT1 can make 275hp+ with a 48mm TB, so can you. I don't know if it applies to much to our cars, but I know on the TPI thirdgens a big mistake is thinking "well i'll plop this 52 or 58mm TB on my TPI and i'll gain 15hp." WRONG. It gains nothing and they actually slow air flow down. My friend was running 12's on his 86 TA with the HSR and a STOCK 48mm TB.
                -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

I'm not sure on the gains, but w/ tuning I believe it would be worth it to do it especially while spraying if its a dry shot!

Comment

I'm not doubting it if you do some serious mods.

Like that stupid MAF screen myth. I have dyno numbers showing I gained .5hp on one pull with it out and lost like 1.5lb-ft. The other run I stayed the same HP with it in and lost 2lb-ft.

In all logical theory, it should gain you. But I think GM did the best they could with what they had. I think a ported TB should be one of your last mods.
                    -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

I agree with that. For a basic bolt on car its probably not worth the time!

Comment

wouldnt chance it. you could screw something up and end up spening more money. Plus you never know how your computer will react to stuff like that. my suggestion is to stay away from this but thats just me.
                        2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X