305 TPI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 305 TPI

I have a 1999 firebird with the 3.8 motor. How hard will it be to put a 305 motor out of a 88 trans am.And what all would i have to change.

Originally posted by wicked:
    I have a 1999 firebird with the 3.8 motor. How hard will it be to put a 305 motor out of a 88 trans am.And what all would i have to change.
    everything, and i dont know why you would do that, the performance is nearly identical between the 2 motors.
    1997 Camaro 15.3@91 with a 2.35 60ft-B&M Ripper, SLP Knob, SLP CAI, LT1 DS, EBC Pads. 1994 Camaro(Sadly Sold)-Hi flow cat, custom flowmaster american thunder cat back, KN FIPK, Accel wires, Plat plugs, 160 thermo, Fastchip, Pacesetters.

Comment

Not with everything i have done to it.

Comment

Please don't put a 305 in... Save the money and go LS1 if you really wanna swap motors. It will be much easier, and you will actually see a difference.
        94 Firebird 3.4 - RIP<br />97 Firebird 3.8 - In the works

Comment

And in all actuality, the LS1 will probably be cheaper, considering all the parts you'd have ot replace to fit the 305.
          94 Firebird 3.4 - RIP<br />97 Firebird 3.8 - In the works

Comment

a 305 is a very good...

...boat anchor. nothing quite like a big bore, short stroke motor for the utmost in underperformance.

you're talking about a new transmission, new motor mounts (therefore new k-member), new locations for all your reservoirs, power steering, proportioning valve, fuel pump, exhaust, etc. etc.

after you get all that figured out you'll have to make up the difference between the wiring harness and PCM.

a small block will fit, but i think practically you'd be looking at a race car application, not a street legal car.

Comment

just swap an LS1 in, sooo much easier, and alot stronger [img]smile.gif[/img]
              2000 Navy Blue T-top Camaro A4<br />TSP Rumbler <br />Carsound Hi-flo Cat<br />!MAF screen<br />Whisper lid<br />HPP3

Comment

Yeah man screw the TPI...LS1!

Comment

I am getting the motor for free and it runs really good. He wrecked the car.But before he wrecked it it ran something like a 10.47 in a 1/4 of a mile.So i wont have any money in it.

Comment

you will have alot of money in it. suspension isnt cheap. on top of the many other things youre gonna need

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                    Or this

Comment

the 305 actually has a TON more potential than our 3.8's do. You have to think mid-late 80's smogged out V8's against pretty well tuned V6's. When it comes to it, cubes DO matter. A friend of mine had a trans am with a few things done, don't remember the specifics, and it ran high 12's as a daily driver, no spray. Find me a 3800 that can do that.

Oh, and he didn't ask if he should swap an ls1 in instead of his 305. So don't tell him to :mad:
                      2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

It all boils down to how much money you want to throw away and how intense you want your headaches to be. [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X