So is coasting bad??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So is coasting bad??

I remeber hearing a while back ago that coasting is bad for the car...Im not sure if I read it right. I did a search, didnt really find anything. Since I have an M-5, Im almost always taking it out of gear and into neutral and just let the car coast, I dont understand how that can be bad for the car, did I read that right?
    1998 Arctic White Camaro<br />3.8L V6 M5<br />Flowmaster 80 Series with 3\" tips<br />Whisper Lid w/ K&N<br />Flowtech Cutout<br />Free-Ram Air Mod<br />Blue Underbody Neon Kit<br />3 MTX 6000 10\" Subs<br />Rockford 800a2 Amp<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/jeep327\" target=\"_blank\">My Camaro</a>

I have the same question, except I have an A4.
    any input would be helpful [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

well as long as there is oil circulating through the tranny I see nothing wrong with it....like if you pull a car behind an RV you have to get a special rig for your car...But eh...ya why not coast...??

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
      05' CTS-V
      00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

I have never heard of it being bad. I don't see how it could be bad as long as you put it in neutral.
        White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

i'm guessing it's less harmful for your transmission than actually having it in drive. right? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

for manual trans there is no problem coasting. I don't think there is with auto either if it is a short distance. You shouldn't tow any vehicle with an auto for distances of 10 miles or more or at high speeds unless the transmission was designed with that in mind, such as on Saturn cars.
            1995 Firebird 3.4L<br /><a href=\"http://kansas.no-ip.com/\" target=\"_blank\">My Site</a>

Comment

Ok cool, thanks guys.
              1998 Arctic White Camaro<br />3.8L V6 M5<br />Flowmaster 80 Series with 3\" tips<br />Whisper Lid w/ K&N<br />Flowtech Cutout<br />Free-Ram Air Mod<br />Blue Underbody Neon Kit<br />3 MTX 6000 10\" Subs<br />Rockford 800a2 Amp<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/jeep327\" target=\"_blank\">My Camaro</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by need4speed:
                for manual trans there is no problem coasting. I don't think there is with auto either if it is a short distance. You shouldn't tow any vehicle with an auto for distances of 10 miles or more or at high speeds unless the transmission was designed with that in mind, such as on Saturn cars.<hr></blockquote>

Was gonna mention the Saturns...The grand cherokees (4WD model anyways...can do that aswell...or for that matter any four wheel drive if you could disengae the tranny :cool:

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
                05' CTS-V
                00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

I am not really sure about the A4 on the M5 should not be a problem. On my GMC Z71 4X4 auto you can dissengage the tranny and tow it.
                  &gt;&gt;OH 1 FIREBIRD SunsetOrangeMetalic<br />Not at All Stock

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                    by ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                    1 week ago
                  • RPDRed6
                    For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                    by RPDRed6
                    Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • ssms5411
                    No start problem
                    by ssms5411
                    So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                    4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X