Hard Cold Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Cold Start

I have something I just can't pin down. When starting my 98 Firebird after it has sat for some time, it takes a long time before it fires. When it is warmed up, it starts instantly.

By a long time, I mean 5-10 seconds of the starter going. I've had the car since it was a newborn. I was getting a check engine light. It was getting misfires in one cylinder (#4). I changed the plugs and plug wires. No more misfires, but still hard to start. The hard cold starting was beginning prior to the plug change...
    Anyone have ideas?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: \"WOW!!!!, what a ride!\"

battery/alternator?

Comment

No it cranks just fine. The engine just doesn't fire right up.
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: \"WOW!!!!, what a ride!\"

Comment

I had the same problem the first time I changed my plugs. It went a way after I put my MAF Screen back in...weird Maybe that was just a coincidence...?
        Justin<br /><a href=\"http://www.bass482.com/firebird/index.html\" target=\"_blank\"> 2000 Black Firebird A4 Y87<br /></a>170.2rwhp/203rwtq (SAE Corrected)

Comment

I haven't pulled my MAF Screen. If I get out of the car right after a cold start, it smells like it was flooded. The way it is starting is just like the old carb days when you flooded it. Once it starts I have to rev it once and then it is fine. I would think if it was a fuel pump it would do it all of the time, not just when cold starting.

Comment

mine did that today too! never really happened before... what is wrong? i just had a burnt out coil and replaced that, and put some fuel injector cleaner into it all in the last week. whats wrong?
            <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/325081\" target=\"_blank\">1998 Red Firebird M5</a><br />not enough mods

Comment

double post... my bad

[ October 15, 2003: Message edited by: 98Firebird ]</p>
              <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/325081\" target=\"_blank\">1998 Red Firebird M5</a><br />not enough mods

Comment

Hmmm, my car has been doing somewhat of the same thing. but one question, if you give it gas does it seem to help ? ok, two questions, and once it fires up , did you check the exhaust for white smoke ?
                If you see white smoke and the smell of rich gas, check the cylinder compression quick. could be bad oil rings , of it could be just a clogged fuel system somewhere. but a cyl check will tell ya what it might be.
                Just because you put a K&N sticker on your Honda doesn\'t make it an 8 second car.

Comment

The problem you are describing is usually the fuel pressure regulator or bad fuel pump seal. When you turn the car off, the regulator if working correctly, will hold fuel pressure for a long time. But if the regulator starts going away, fuel will bleed off at a quicker rate. This really doesn't hurt the car but makes it start hard after the car has sat all night. Best way to tell is to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the schader valve with the car off. Start the car up and notice the fuel pressure. Check the specs for your engine and see if they compare. Then turn the car off, if the fuel pressure drops off at a rapid rate, you have a problem. You should not lose more than 50% of your pressure under 2 minutes. If you do loose pressure, you will them need to isolate the regulator from the tank so you can tell if the regulator or a problem in the tank is to blame. Find your fuel return line and using pliers, pinch off the rubber section of the hose. DO NOT pinch off the plastic part if your car is using plastic fuel lines. Pinching them will destroy them. That said, restart the vehicle and shut it down in 20 seconds. If the pressure drops like before, it's a leak in the tank. If it doesn't leak, its the regulator. If its the regulator, you will be able to remove the pliers and watch the pressure drop again.

Comment

You sure you gapped plugs right?

Comment

Thanks Jerriko...I'll give that a try.

Sixpack...yes if I give it a small amount of gas while cranking it starts quicker, and yes there is some white smoke (very small amount) I thought possibly head gasket but coolant level stays constant and temp never rises.

KA50..it was doing this prior to doing the plugs and wires. The coil packs all tested out ok...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                        Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                        by ssms5411
                        Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                        1 week ago
                      • RPDRed6
                        For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                        by RPDRed6
                        Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • ssms5411
                        No start problem
                        by ssms5411
                        So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                        4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X