Rattle (probably from cat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattle (probably from cat)

I've has this problem for a couple weeks now.

A rattle/vibration sound is coming from the passengar side near the front of the car. It only happens at idle, or at very low speeds, especially when accellerating slowly from a stop.

I ran a search and from the replies to similar threads, it seemed like the heat shield was causing the problem. Well, I removed it like suggested and the rattle is still there. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-
    1999 A4 Firebird<br />Mods coming soon-

its not the smartest thing to remove those shield when you still have a cat. ;) are you sure you removed them all? there are two i believe right there. my suggestion is put them back on with rubber washers. yes, it is probably your cat. other symtoms are loss of power and bad smell
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

My car had that same problem, and it was the innards of the cat rattling around. Had to replace it.

Put the heat shield back, or have the person who installs the cat put it back. It can, indeed be a source of noises in itself.
      \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

Does it seem to rattle more when the AC is on? Just wondering, I've seen simmilar problems on other vehicles.

2000 Pewter Pontiac Transam 360rwhp, 370ftlbs
        1998 Sport Gold Metallic Chevrolet Camaro *SOLD*
        1974 Silver Chevrolet BIG BLOCK Corvette

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to get the cat replaced.

Question- I haven't noticed that, but I'll do some experimenting later on today.
          1999 A4 Firebird<br />Mods coming soon-

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X