Help please....How do I my change fuel filter?! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help please....How do I my change fuel filter?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please....How do I my change fuel filter?!

I would like to change my fuel filter myself...
    Can someone help give me some direction?
    Where do I start?

Thanks in advance.

Joe
    *OneQuickSix*<br />1998 3.8L V-6 Camaro<br />~A4 w/Y87~

Joe, first off, it's fairly easy. The filter is located on the bottom of the car, driver's-side, on the left side in front of the rear suspension. You'll need a crescent wrench and a 5/8 open end wrench, if I recall correctly. You have to hold the bolt on the filter w/the crescent wrench while loosening the nut holding the line in place w/the 5/8" wrench. There's a plastic clip on the front line (if I recall correctly) & you unclip it and the line pulls right out. I think there may be a clamp of some sort over the filter, otherwise, you may just be able to slide it out & slide the new one in. Installation is the reverse of removal, just remember to open your gas cap before you remove either one of the lines, and have a small pan & some rags ready for the fuel that will be in the lines & the filter itself.

As a side note, when you get ready to start the car, turn the key on (so that you hear the fuel pump activate) so that you can prime the system, and take a look for leaks before you crank it up.

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: Fin ]</p>
    2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

Thanks Chris..You da bomb! [img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img]

Comment

Anytime man [img]smile.gif[/img]
        2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

whatever you do, don't do it on a full tank of gas. trust me on that one ...

Comment

Relieve the pressure in the tank before you begin!!!

Loosen your gas cap then put it back on. If you don't put the cap back on, you'll have a couple of gallons of gas gushing through the line!

If you do as above, you'll still have a very small amount of gas come out of the line. Be sure to wear safety glasses and have plenty of paper towels handy!
            Jason McCallister, Founder & Webmaster<br /><a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">West Tennessee F-Body Association, Inc.</a><br /><br />2000 Camaro - <a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org/site/view_member.php?ID=68\" target=\"_blank\">Details</a>

Comment

Thanks for the extra tips fellas!

Joe

Comment

not sure about the 3.8's but on the 3.4 even if you open the gas tank there is supposibly still pressure in the lines. You can release the pressure by a valve located in the tip middle of the plenium (intake manifold, whatever you call it...its right on top).

Also just to let you guys know, I changed mine with a full tank of gas and with the gas tank open and I had no fuel spill out. Of course the fuel in the filter came out....but nothing came out of the lines.
                1995 Camaro<br />3.4 Engine<br />5 Speed<p>PERFORMANCE: 3 Inch Cat, 3 inch Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back, 3.42 Gears, Jet Stage 2, Low Temp T-Stat, K&N CAI, ASP Pullies, TPS Enhancer, MSD Wires, Free Mods.<br />APPEARANCE: Z-Roc Hood, Chrome 5 spokes, Custom Emblems, LGMotorsports Wing.<br />BEST TIME: 15.7 @ 92.1<p>GO ARMY!

Comment

I heard that you should pull the Fuel pump fuse then start the car the get rid of the gas in the lines. Just what I heard.
                  White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RiceBurnerKiller:
                    Also just to let you guys know, I changed mine with a full tank of gas and with the gas tank open and I had no fuel spill out. Of course the fuel in the filter came out....but nothing came out of the lines.<hr></blockquote>

well i had a full tank of gas (just filled it up) and i had the gas cap off for a good half hour before i started anything. when i took the thing off the side torwards the engine spilled out a little gas but the rubber line torwards the rear started spewing gas out. i think it was syphening the gas tank somehow because i let it drain til my huge pan was going to start overflowing before i realized it wasn't going to stop, so i changed that thing with fuel still spilling everywhere, and i was covered in fuel.

i had my car proped up with the stock jack while i was under it (yes i know, big no-no) so the drivers side of the car was raised.

Comment

Hi Joe,

Everytime I change the fuel filter I never bleed the pressure nor do I release the pressure by loosening the gas cap but next time I will loosen the gas cap.

There isn't much pressure in the lines but there is fuel so just put a pan of some sort under the fuel filter and have the new one ready to swap out so a minimal amount of fuel leaks out.

Its a pretty simple swap. You should have no problems. In fact I bet you have already swapped it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                      Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by anasazi:
                        well i had a full tank of gas (just filled it up) and i had the gas cap off for a good half hour before i started anything. when i took the thing off the side torwards the engine spilled out a little gas but the rubber line torwards the rear started spewing gas out. <hr></blockquote>

Sounds like you forgot to put your gas cap back on! Ask me how I know! :D

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>i think it was syphening the gas tank somehow <hr></blockquote>

I've done many fuel filters in my time and if you don't put the gas cap back on a pressurized fuel system (EFI), gas will pour from the lines. It's all a vacuum thing! :D Here's a bad analogy but here it goes.... if you were to dump a plastic gallon milk jug upside down, the milk would come out in a glob, bubble, glob, bubble, glob, (see the trend here...) Now poke a hole in the bottom of the milk jug.... see how the milk pours out without a problem? Same idea with the gas cap. If you leave the gas cap off, you've allowed air to enter the gas tank, equalizing the pressure in the tank allowing the fuel to escape. If there's no way for air to enter the gas tank, the fuel will stay. :D

Hope that helps explain the reason for the gas cap (theory)! ;) :D

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Everytime I change the fuel filter I never bleed the pressure nor do I release the pressure by loosening the gas cap... <hr></blockquote>

If the car has been sitting, it's not necessary to bleed the pressure but it's still a safe practice. The pressure will drop after a couple of hours of the car sitting, not running. It's recommended by several manuals to relieve the pressure first (just in case) because 30+ PSI of fuel penetrating the skin can be a bad thing! ;)

Keep it safe fellas and Happy New Year! :D

EDIT: Can't speel! ;)

[ January 01, 2002: Message edited by: Jason McCallister ]</p>
                        Jason McCallister, Founder & Webmaster<br /><a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">West Tennessee F-Body Association, Inc.</a><br /><br />2000 Camaro - <a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org/site/view_member.php?ID=68\" target=\"_blank\">Details</a>

Comment

this is a really good thread that i believe should be saved for all the world to see.
                          6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Comment

Thank god this thread was saved......I'm on my way to change mine right now.....I'll let ya'll know how it went

*yes i am evil for digging up old threads*

just another reason why I love this site. So Resourceful! :D
                            Soon to be Mommy!<br />2005 Honda Pilot EX-L

Comment

I am gonna be changing mine in a few hours... wish me luck.
                              1995 3.4L A4 Firebird White w/T-Tops *SOLD*<br />**NEW CAR**<br />2004 White Cavalier Coupe<br />2.2l ECOtec 5 speed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X