Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop my rearend!!!!

Not mine...the car.
    So Chiltons tells me I have to drop the rear axle to remove the gas tank and then remove the fuel pump. I performed a search for fuel pump replacement and did not find where anyone mentioned dropping the axle. I dont mind removing the rear pipes, I used band clamps, but if I have to drop the rear axle I am cutting a hole behind the rear seats and gong in from the top.
    So the big question....Do you HAVE to remove the rear axle to get access to the fuel pump?

Thank you
    Dr Todd

Well, if you want to go the ghetto way, remove the panhard rod, tourque arm, and shocks to drop the rear housing a bit more, then try to pull the gas tank.
    I agree with you, we should cut a hole from inside of the car to access the fuel pump when needed. The only thing is, we would only have to use that cutout once in our cars life.

-Marc
    sigpic

Comment

Cutting from the top requires much more work and money than just dropping the rear axle. If you cut from the top, you'll need to know where the fuel lines are running (so you don't cut it), the hole will need to be about 9" X 9" to get access to the pump, and then you'll need to order an access panel to cover the hole back up (time and money here).

Dropping the rear is as easy as disconnecting the drive shaft, disconnecting the PHR, unbolting the lower half of the shock absorbers, and lowering the rear down easy.

We've replaced a gas tank & fuel pump on a 3rd gen Formula in under 3 hours and that included some horsing around and examining the contents of the gas tank. (metal shavings and saw dust - sabotage)

http://www.wtfba.org/photos/01-03-27...nII/index.html

Tips: Drain the gas tank before you start (to lessen the weight - approx 7 lbs/gallon)! Get the rear of the car high in the air and have at least another person to help. Lye on your back and use your arms and legs to help lower the gas tank.

Good luck and have fun! It's not that hard... just take your time and pay attention to details! ;)

[ July 25, 2003: Message edited by: Jason McCallister ]</p>
      Jason McCallister, Founder & Webmaster<br /><a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">West Tennessee F-Body Association, Inc.</a><br /><br />2000 Camaro - <a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org/site/view_member.php?ID=68\" target=\"_blank\">Details</a>

Comment

Uhhh cutting the access panel takes like 30 minutes, to be done, and then get a piece of metal from home depot, cut to spec, and use that to cover it back up. lay carpet back over if you are done. Who cares if it looks pretty...its under carpet.

Dropping the tank is a pain in the *** !
        AIM: escalier deverre<br />\'02 Pearl Blue Metallic RSX-S (daily driver)<br />\'98 Black Firebird<br />98 V6 turbocharged to 02 LS1 swap<br />\'02 LS1/4L60E<br />LS6 Block, LS6 Intake Manifold, Thunder Racing 215/220 .600/.523/115 Cam, Titanium Retainers, Crane Double Valve Springs, 125 shot NX Wet Kit w/ NOS brand Purge, True Dual \"H\" Pipe w/ two chambers and dumps, 17x11(rear) and 17x9.5(front) Black Powdercoated ZR1 Replicas on 315 and 275 BFGoodrich Comp T/A\'s (Street)/ET Drags/Skinnies on Weldlites(Track), 3.42/LSD

Comment

Thank you people. Although I have access to a lift and a transmission jack (use it to lower the tank) I may go from the top. I found some pictures showing how someone did it on their 96 Z28. Here are just a few:
          www.taekwondoplus.org/z28/cut02.jpg
          www.taekwondoplus.org/z28/opencut01.jpg
          www.taekwondoplus.org/z28/seal02.jpg

Why can't they put an access plate behind the rear seat for pump replacement like on my Subaru?

Oh well....still like my Camaro.
          Dr Todd

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
            Had to be evacuated again due to fire
            by ssms5411
            Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
            1 week ago
          • RPDRed6
            For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
            by RPDRed6
            Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
            3 weeks ago
          • ssms5411
            No start problem
            by ssms5411
            So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
            4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X