This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 Firebird (opinions please!)

I didn't want to post this in 3rd gen, even though it probably belongs there cause I thought no one would see it...

I have been looking for a new car for a bit, I own a 1966 Nova that only runs premium and I don't like to drive it when the weather is less than great. I want something a little better on gas to drive daily. A kid that works near me drives a 1991 Firebird (3.1L V6 AT) to work every day and I always thought it was a neat looking car. Well, he is buying a new Mazda 6 and wants to sell it. He is asking 1500 but said he would sell to me for 1100. The car engine is in good shape, started up and ran fine, trans shifts good and what not. No rust on the engine and a little on the body, drivers side door and LF wheel. OK, finally on to my actual question. The car has 126,xxx miles on it. Should I be worried about the timing chain or the heads/gaskets blowing/cracking/warping on me? is it a wise investment? I woulding be traumatized if the car didn't last me 7 years or something but I don't want to waste (or really spend much at all) on it, since i'm saving for another project car.

Also, i'm new here, upstate NY i'm only 18, which seems to be a flame magnet on other auto forums so let em rip. All I ask is that if someone who really knows what they are talking about too the time to read all that [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] then could you please give me some wisdom? Much appriciated!

I have a 91 3.1 Firebird,Im also 18 and live in NY too (Long Island) I bought mine last year with an amazing 14,000 original miles.Bought it from an 84 year old man for $3600,what would he want with a firebird anyway....A few major things went.Alternator,Ignition Cylinder and cataytic converter.If he took good care of it,it would run fine for a long time.Just give it a tuneup and change all fluids when you buy it.As far as the timing chain and gaskets,I wouldent worry about them too much unless the motor was royally abused...

By the way...Check out www.thirdgen.org

Comment

Thanks! Actually I was in a hurry and I didn't want to bore everyone with the details but I left out some stuff. It was his grandmothers car, negative on the engine abuse. It doesn't smell like its burning any antifreeze. He just had the fluids changed and brakes replaced.

Comment

there's PLENTY of good knowledge in the third gen tech section...moving there.
        2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X