engine problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine problem?

Just yesterday my car took a crap. I got an oil change the previous day. I went on a 1hr 1/2 trip and on the way back the car would not accelerate. if i would slow down it wouldn't accelerate faster then that, id slow down again and wouldn't go faster than that. Im on the highway to make it even worse. I think the engine migh be the problem it sounded like it was being forced i wasn't even going 50 at the time(before the highway). I read another post about a car not working because of 87 octane gas. could this be the problem. Also the oil pressure went to zero and the coolent temp went to 260 which are both in the red section. can anybody help. '98 Camaro 3800 sII

Your car is designed to run on 87 octane gas. It sounds like a much more serious problem.
    the black 97 <br /> New favorite Mods: Hptuners, and SLP 2OTL

Comment

definitely shouldn't drive it with the oil pressure at 0. and that is really hot. could the oil pump have died? how many miles do you have? have you checked the oil since this happened? check the coolant while you're under the hood. (can't think why that would be the problem, but while you're there). i knew someone who had their oil changed and they didn't tighten the oil plug and it took a crap on the highway and they didn't notice. their engine seized and the shop had to buy them a new one. any way, go check the fluids, it's at least a starting point.
      2000 pewter firebird<br />Short Throw Shifter, Whisper Lid, Whisper Ram Air, Holley Filter, B&B Triflo, LSD, BMR LCA, STB, PHR, and sway bars (32/21).<br />Power window conversion

Comment

after the incident i checked the coolent and oil and they were both fine. I'll check if the oil pump is any good. It has 45k miles. Thanks for the info.

Comment

i had a similar problem with one of my previous cars, a beretta gtz. i was on the highway driving and my oil pressure dropped to zero, it was accelerating very slowly, but i continued to drive it. i got off on an exit and as soon as i came to a stop at a traffic light, the car died and would not re-start. the motor locked up and had to be replaced. driving with no oil pressure is very bad and i wished i had pulled off the road when i first noticed it. sometimes the head gasket will blow when temperatures get that hot, but since your coolent level is normal, then you probably got lucky. have you tried to start the engine again? hopefully it is not locked up like mine car was, especially since you have low miles on it, my gtz engine had 150000 miles on it when it locked up.
          95 3.4 m5- comp 206/212, 1.6 roller rockers, pacesetter headers, magnaflow cat, dynomax 18\" bullet muffler, ss muffler and tips, msd 8.5 wires, 32mm sway, umi sfc,

Comment

don't start the engine again. just in case there really is no oil pressure, not just a sensor. and with the other stuff you said it sounds like you really don't have oil flowing. you definitely don't want to try to make it run, unless you want a really big, very expensive paper weight.
            2000 pewter firebird<br />Short Throw Shifter, Whisper Lid, Whisper Ram Air, Holley Filter, B&B Triflo, LSD, BMR LCA, STB, PHR, and sway bars (32/21).<br />Power window conversion

Comment

Well i inspected it as well as my brother who is works for a tire and auto service company. I am just going to take it back to the dealer and hopefully they can fix it or replace it with and engine that is better. It wont start I tried it a few the next day and nothing happend. the car is just miss firing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                by ssms5411
                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                1 week ago
              • RPDRed6
                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                by RPDRed6
                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                3 weeks ago
              • ssms5411
                No start problem
                by ssms5411
                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X