flashing check engine light (misfire?) HELP!!!! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

flashing check engine light (misfire?) HELP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flashing check engine light (misfire?) HELP!!!!

Last night I got in my car, started er' up and noticed it was running a little rough. I put the car in reverse to back up and I noticed it even more. The check engine light not only lit up, but started flashing!! [img]graemlins/omg.gif[/img] When I put the car into drive and pressed on the gas a little, I noticed the exhaust sounded different too. Kinda... rougher. Kinda.... a hard rumble. I had to go to work so I pressed on. The car made it fine, but idled and ran rough the whole time. And the check engine light flashed the whole time. Are these the signs of a misfire? Or what could be wrong?

[ October 29, 2002: Message edited by: 96firebird311 ]</p>
    Red 96' A4 Firebird
    Audio Audio and Autotek
    Check it out here!

Have you checked your plugs? What about your wires? Thats the first thing you should check. It is possible that they are worn and you need new ones. Same with the wires. Check it out and replace them if thats required. If that solves the prob you'll probally need to have the code cleared before the light stops flashing. It that isnt the prob take it to a shop that can read the codes, that will tell you whats wrong. Hope this helps and good luck, your not the only one with problems with their car. mine wont even start cause the VATS system has a malfunction, but Im repairing that soon.

Comment

in my experience with the whole burning wires ordeal if the motor is cold the misfire isn't that bad and really only gets worse once the motor is under load and warmed up..

but if a wire fell off a plug then you would have instant problems... also when I had a coil go out it was like that, just suddenly went and I was misfiring, no warning no gradual getting worse just one second it was fine.... the next it was idling/running rough..
      -Brad
      98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
      2000 V-Star Custom 1100
      If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
      :rock:

Comment

Same exact thing happened to me once and it was a plug, I luckily got my uncles scanner and scanned it and it told me cylinder 6 was misfiring so I replaced plug 6 and it was all fine.
        Email: Preki1212@hotmail.com

Comment

Also you if your plugs and wires check out, get your injectors cleaned. That is a big cause of misfires. The holes in the injectors are small and clog eaisly. Go to a shop and have them do it, don't use the stuff you dump in your tank. It does not work as well as the stuff at a shop.

Comment

It's either a plug, wire, or coil. Those are the only things that will start flashing the SES light.
            <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 97Pcam6:
              Same exact thing happened to me once and it was a plug, I luckily got my uncles scanner and scanned it and it told me cylinder 6 was misfiring so I replaced plug 6 and it was all fine.<hr></blockquote>

You had to replace the PLUG!?! How many miles did you have on your car? The stock Delco plugs are "supposed" to be good for 100,000 miles! I figured it might be a plug wire. GM released a couple of messages awhile back (document ID# 711738 and 711714) about failure of the plug wires and that they were to be repaired cost free to the owner for 7 years 70,000 miles reguardless of owner. I think I MIGHT still be covered under this. The time is 7 years from the date the vehicle was originally put into service. So I'll have to check on that one..... maybe I can get this fixed for free!!!! :D :D I'll have it checked out and keep you guys posted. Take note fellows, this document applies to 95-98 3.8L camaros and firebirds. If you have this problem, it's a free fix! :D
              Red 96' A4 Firebird
              Audio Audio and Autotek
              Check it out here!

Comment

it will never hurt to replace your plugs and wires. and my bet would be good ol' #6 wire is fried. seems to be a big prob on our cars.
                1997 Firebird Convertable White, with custom Purple pin striping and custom Purple detailing!!!<br />Y87 Performance Package W68 Apperance Package<br />Boydes, aluminum rims 16\" BMR STB <br />SLP Cold Air Intake 3\"hiflow cat 3\" dynomax custom catback, 2.5\" Flowmaster 80. Slp Take off Shocks, Springs And Struts. Transgo shift kit with corvette servo!<br />Sony Explode CD Player Kicker Comp VR 12, and Explode 760Watt amp!!!<br />5% Tint on the side windows, Correction officially 2% on the side windows, or at least that is what the highpo said and 15% on my rear window<br />Yup Purdy Car!!

Comment

A cloged fuel injector will cause a code also. Just FYI

Comment

Ok, so I figured I'd update you guys on what's been going on. I took it to a local mechanic and they told me that it's a misfire. Duh. So they check it out and tell me that a plug wire had fallen off. That's kinda strange... and unlikely... but whatever. So they put the plug wire back on and the misfire is gone. The problem was gone so I just figured whatever. Then yesterday it came back. Same thing. So I take it to a Pontiac dealership and they tell me #5 is misfiring. I didn't tell them that I had it checked out before and THEY check it and tell me that a plug wire had fallen off.... again. They didn't tell me if that fixed it but they proceed to check all the wires and plugs and they all check fine. So they test the coil and tell me that it's shorted. It'll cost me $230 for them to replace it. Now that's strange.... if a coil was shorted, when the first shop put the plug wire back on it would have still been misfiring. Hmmmmm.... is the Pontiac dealership trying to rip me off??? They HAVE to be. And that really pisses me off!! And why the hell does this plug wire supposedly keep "falling off"?
                    Red 96' A4 Firebird
                    Audio Audio and Autotek
                    Check it out here!

Comment

The coil may be under-performing. A simple way to test coil output is to observe the color of the arc emitted at the spark plug electrode. It should be white-blue. Any yellowing in the arc could be an indication of a weak coil or excessive resistence in your plug wire. Your local parts house should stock an inexpensive tester (about $10) for this process. Anyhow, if you pay the dealership their $70 diagnostic fee ... and replace the plugs, wires, and coils yourself ... you'll still have a little change left in your pocket.
                      You can achieve anything for which you are prepared to pay the price.<br /> --ATTILA THE HUN

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by apiccola:
                        and replace the plugs, wires, and coils yourself <hr></blockquote>
                        easier said then done! ;)

So an under-preforming coil would have acted fine after the first shop supposedly reconnected the plug wire? Because when I picked up the car, everything was cool. Then.... a week later, it's back and the Pontiac dealership says the same thing PLUS the coil is shorted and that'll be $230 dollars! That's what makes me think they are ripping me off.
                        And another thing, in these documents I quoted, it states "The customer should not be charged for preforming a system check when determining whether or not the spark plug wire(s) is the cause of a customer complaint." SOOO no matter what the cause actually was, I shouldn't have to pay the diagnostic fee. I guess "shouldn't" is the key word there. I'm sure they will give me a ton of sh!t about it.... and I'll probably end up paying it. So we'll see.....
                        Red 96' A4 Firebird
                        Audio Audio and Autotek
                        Check it out here!

Comment

Ok, so I picked up my car today. Everything seems fine so far. They didn't charge me for diagnostic, waved the shop fees and gave me a 10% discount. The total was $212. I should have done it myself. Just picked up the coil at their parts counter and put it on in the parking lot. There are only two screws holding each coil in. I have tools in my car, it would have taken me 5 minutes..... but somehow it took them 1.5 hours!!!!!!! That pisses me off too. That's WAYYYY to long. I should have asked for the old coil and tested it myself. I still don't believe it was bad. The mechanic knew he wouldn't get payed squat for putting the plug wire back on, so he just said a coil was bad to get his money. :mad: :mad:
                          Red 96' A4 Firebird
                          Audio Audio and Autotek
                          Check it out here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X