Car "studders"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car "studders"

When i am driving, when my RPM's reach 2k, my car starts to studder and will barely speed up. I bought a fuel filter, but havent installed it yet. What else could it be? Or do i have a good chance that it is the fuel filter? It only does it when my car is in gear and moving. Thanks in advance.

--Fierdon
    1995 3.4L A4 Firebird White w/T-Tops *SOLD*<br />**NEW CAR**<br />2004 White Cavalier Coupe<br />2.2l ECOtec 5 speed

slipping tranny

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Does the engine seem to struggle? Could be a clogged cat...
      -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Camarorulz:
        Does the engine seem to struggle? Could be a clogged cat...<hr></blockquote>

Like he said, at WOT, does it bog down more then at just part throttle?

If you have a stocker exhaust, you can unbolt the I-pipe, push it ot the side, then pull the CAT off and run an open y-pipe see if it stops it.

Comment

Hey, does it free rev in neutral and park (or if a standard, then just neutral)? Does it go fine until you hit about 2K rpms and then shudders really bad? Does it make you think it's the tranny slipping? how about after you pass 4K rpms, does it clear up? If so, these were my exact same sypotoms. It's most likely a miss. I changed the fuel filter, and made no difference, so it could have been bad gas, so I got some gas treatment, still no fix. I was worried it was the injectors, but the treatment was supposed to clean them. I decided since it was gettin fuel, I needed to go back and check the spark. I was getting little to no spark on 2 coil packs. I changed all 3 coil packs, the plugs and the wires.
          It's runnin great now.
          ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by silvachris1:
            Hey, does it free rev in neutral and park (or if a standard, then just neutral)? Does it go fine until you hit about 2K rpms and then shudders really bad? Does it make you think it's the tranny slipping? how about after you pass 4K rpms, does it clear up? If so, these were my exact same sypotoms. It's most likely a miss. I changed the fuel filter, and made no difference, so it could have been bad gas, so I got some gas treatment, still no fix. I was worried it was the injectors, but the treatment was supposed to clean them. I decided since it was gettin fuel, I needed to go back and check the spark. I was getting little to no spark on 2 coil packs. I changed all 3 coil packs, the plugs and the wires.
            It's runnin great now.
            <hr></blockquote>

Yes it does free rev in park and neutral. And if i get above 4k rpm it stops... how much would it cost for the coil packs? and are they easy to install?

When i am at cruise speed (2krpm) it is fine, if i give it just a little gas it starts to do it. I have to step hard to get it to speed up. Thanks again.

[ October 15, 2003: Message edited by: Fierdon ]</p>
            1995 3.4L A4 Firebird White w/T-Tops *SOLD*<br />**NEW CAR**<br />2004 White Cavalier Coupe<br />2.2l ECOtec 5 speed

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Fierdon:

Yes it does free rev in park and neutral. And if i get above 4k rpm it stops... how much would it cost for the coil packs? and are they easy to install?

When i am at cruise speed (2krpm) it is fine, if i give it just a little gas it starts to do it. I have to step hard to get it to speed up. Thanks again.

<hr></blockquote>

I got one coil pack at Advance Auto (I got an AC Delco pack) it was $38.99. I got the other two at autozone when the first one didn't cure the problem. They were $19.95 a piece, and I think the brand was WELLS (though I've never heard of them. The plugs were like $5.60 a piece, for AC Delco Iridium Plugs or something. Then the wires were like $20-35 bux, I'm not sure how much though.

If this doesn't solve the problem, it could be the ignition module. I think Autozone has them for $99.

And then if that doesn't fix it, then its not spark, it's gotta be fuel. Could be the filter, or the pump or who knows what all. I'd say, go ahead and change the fuel filter while you're working on the car, it's not expensive and takes less than 5 minutes. Mine was nearly clogged off at 44K miles.

Good luck.
              ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

Well, i changed my Fuel Filter and it still does it. To get it checked would cost me $50. Oh, and yes it does bog down at part throttle. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Did you install the plugs/wires/coils too? And it still does it? If it's still not getting spark, then it could be the ignition module. If that's not it, it's prolly fuel dilevery. Since it's not your filter, it could be the fuel pump, or the injectors. If not, then I dunno.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                    by ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                    1 week ago
                  • RPDRed6
                    For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                    by RPDRed6
                    Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • ssms5411
                    No start problem
                    by ssms5411
                    So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                    4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X