X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Blue94V6:
    I think I'm going to get this to mount a new front plate on:
    SLP Front Liscense Plate Holder

Does any one have pix with that plate holder on their car? send me pix rbsr6@aol.com

Comment

Check how much the ticket is for, I have had two front plate tickets, and since they are only $10 a ticket, I keep it off.
      Cardomain

Comment

In defense for the front plate, there are some situations where it's nice to see one there. I work at a gas station, and if someone doesn't have a front plate, and they pull a gas run, they can just drive off past the building and they will be gone before anyone can get out to look at the rear. So the laws are there for a reason.

That being said, I still think front plates are stupid, most of the time. I like how on the 98+ it's built into the front bumper cover. If I had a 98+, I wouldn't really mind putting it on. However, on the 93-97 we have to drill holes into the cover and mount a bracket to get a place for the plate. That is absurd to me. I'm not going to drill holes into my car for some stupid law that is really only there so cops have a reason to pull over suspicious people that otherwise there would be no legal way to stop them.

I keep mine on the dash. I had it there for a long time, then I got tired of it rattling, so I put it on the back passenger seat floor thinking that if I get pulled over I can grab it and toss it up on the dash real quick. Well, I finally got pulled over, and I forgot to throw it up there. And what do you know, the bastard was in a bad mood and cited me for no plate. $130! for that! THAT is insane.

And if you live in TX, like 1ofmany was saying, that new law is a $200 fine if you are blocking the word 'Texas.' Also pretty sure they can cite you for blocking "The lone star state" across the bottom too if they wanted to be real mean. So if you keep yours on the dash, there is like one spot between the two wipers where nothing is covered up, but mine rattles there. I never thought of the suction cup thing, i'm going to look into that.

Also, that blocking the words laws applies to out of state vehicles too. So, if you are going to be driving through Texas, better check your plates. The state troopers here have no mercy at all!

Comment

The thing that bothers me is that I have a billet grill, so its dumb to even put a plate there if i could. I rigged up somethin yesterday, and took it off the next day. Spending $150 bux for that grill and hiding it behind that plate is not worth it. I hate pigs!!!! :mad:
          Go Fast or Dont Go

Comment

Question - do you _really_ want policemen to decide which laws to enforce and which not?

Sounds like everyone's beef is with their state government.
            2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

Just out of curiosity, why do you have 2 sets of fog lights? Wouldn't one set be more than enough?
              <b>Black 1996 3.8L Firebird A4</b><br />--------------------------<br />Custom CAI, Flowmaster Dual Exhaust, 160 Deg Thermo, BMR ShockTower Brace<br />JVC mp3 HU, two 12\" Infinity Kappa Perfects, Infinity 6.5\" components, JBL 600.1 & 80.4 amps <br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/479229363CPbPiz\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mikey:
                I have a billet grill, guess the cop was just havin a bad day, so he wrote me up for no front plate. I told him there we no mounts and his answer was "there should be". So Now i have a ziptied plate on my grill. Damnit. He was also nice enough to write me up for front tinted windows(they are at 30%) and he wrote me up for too many front lights (I have 2 sets of foglights). Somebody have an idea for a better place to put the plate...Legally? :mad: <hr></blockquote>
                Front Plates SUCK!!!...None in Oklahoma either..
                ;) [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                2000 Firebird. Whisper Lid, True duals, TSP mail order tune, Built Tranny , TCI 2800 stall verter, B&M tranny cooler, Eaton LSD, 3.42 gears. Current best ET. 15.232 89.09 MPH 2.175 60ft on stock 3.42\'s and open diff.<a href=\"http://www.geocities.c

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ChameleonGreen:
                  That being said, I still think front plates are stupid, most of the time. I like how on the 98+ it's built into the front bumper cover. If I had a 98+, I wouldn't really mind putting it on. However, on the 93-97 we have to drill holes into the cover and mount a bracket to get a place for the plate. That is absurd to me. I'm not going to drill holes into my car for some stupid law that is really only there so cops have a reason to pull over suspicious people that otherwise there would be no legal way to stop them.<hr></blockquote>

I have a 2002 and it isn't built in. The bracket came with my car in a bag with some metal punches to knock holes in the front grille insert to attach the license plate. There aren't any holes in my front for a plate.
                  <a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/New/IMG_0085.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Black 2002 Camaro M5</a>-SS takeoff muffler, B&M Ripper, K&N Filter, 35/20% tint, Infinity speakers, Viper alarm, perpetually breaking clutch return spring mod. 15.49@90.15<br /><a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/P14.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">Pewter 2002 Firebird M5 (Dad\'s Car)</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Akuma:
                    Just out of curiosity, why do you have 2 sets of fog lights? Wouldn't one set be more than enough?<hr></blockquote>

I ordered a pair (round), and they sent me the wrong ones(oval), so I bought another(round)and installed the oval ones behind the grill. Makes me think. Firebirds have 2 sets of fog lights, thats completely legal, right? I have 1 set yellow, and one set white.
                    Go Fast or Dont Go

Comment

Well the stock config for my firebird is, 1 set of Driving Lights aka DRL (yellow/orange), one set of fog lights (white), and my low beam and my high beams.

Stock Firebirds only have one set of Fog lights.

Proof
                      Cardomain

Comment

The DRLs on Firebirds and Trans Am's are just the turn signals. They are just shaped in a circle. That does not make them a fog light. Camaro's have DRLs too, but I don't think anyone would consider those fog lights.

Once I took my front plate, there is no way it's going back on..even after the # of tickets I get for it...which was about 6-7. But those are all from one town. Some places enforce more than others.

[ October 22, 2003: Message edited by: Camaro_SLP ]</p>
                        94 Camaro 3.4 A4 <br />T-Tops<br />In the process of an LS1 swap.

Comment

PA does kick *** in that respect, no front plates. They look so incredibly stupid. Other than that PA sucks.
                          1997 Camaro RS - Polo Green<br /> Y87 Performance Package<br /> 80 Series Flowmaster <br /> Homemade CAI<br /> B&M Transpak Stage II

Comment

i spent a day in jail because of no front liscence plate (long story)
                            but down here in texas a plate behind the windshield is not legal! mine was there when i got arrested.
                            domestic violence says to put it on the airdam. thats real low and not really visible, but he says it is legal.
                            if anybody has a pic of the slp bracket on thier car could you send that to me also? i was going to email slp to see if they had any pictures. :(
                            6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Comment

Imagine that!

A Cop pulls you over for breaking a law that you are responsible for knowing. And then has the audacity to cite you just because you did something illegal.
                              [img]graemlins/omg.gif[/img]

The nerve. :rolleyes:

Its stupid, yes, but its a law guys. "I didn't know" isn't usually a viable excuse.

I have seen billet grille Camaro's with the license plate behind the billet grille. It is much more easy to see than screwed or riveted to the air dam, but as far as its legality. It'd be a grey area. Some cops might ticket you for it anyway, but I think taken to court it'd be dismissed.

The above is what I plan to do once I have my billet grille.

[ October 26, 2003: Message edited by: Bliggida ]</p>
                              <b>15.41</b> @ 89.80 & 15.45 @ <b>91.64</b>, 2.21 60ft, 3,440 raceweight, using <b>OEM</b> Equipment. <br />\'98 L67/M49 w/ 134,000 miles before spun bearing. \"<i>It\'s all stock, Baby</i>!\"

Comment

V6 cameros suck be a man ad get V8

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X