can my tach really be that far off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can my tach really be that far off?

i installed my harlan shift light today (after having it sitting there for about a year and a half) and to test it out i set the rpm's at 3000 well the light goes off at around 2800. i know the stock tach's are crap but is it that bad? i wish my laptop hadn't died or i'd check it with obd2 program but right now i'm SOL. anyone else notice there tach that much off at that low an rpm?
    i was swimming in the carribean. animals were hiding behind the rocks except for the little fish, but they told me the squid\'s trying to talk to me. oink, oink. where is my mind?

I don't know that mine is off but it's definitely slow! I've got the Harlan shift light set at 5700 RPM's and my tach reads around 5200 RPM's at WOT in first gear! :eek: :rolleyes:
    Jason McCallister, Founder & Webmaster<br /><a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">West Tennessee F-Body Association, Inc.</a><br /><br />2000 Camaro - <a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org/site/view_member.php?ID=68\" target=\"_blank\">Details</a>

Comment

the tach is just slow.
      in first gear it tends to be anyway.
      it catches up at the top of second [img]tongue.gif[/img]
      mine hits the rev limiter at 5800...but obviously autotap knows otherwise

[ April 04, 2003: Message edited by: navyblue2000 ]</p>
      2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

yeah mine actually caught up in third(almost). it went off at about 2800 in second and around 2600 in first when i tested it more last night. oh well. maybe this will help my times next time i go to the track(well this and the cam ;) )
        i was swimming in the carribean. animals were hiding behind the rocks except for the little fish, but they told me the squid\'s trying to talk to me. oink, oink. where is my mind?

Comment

The stock tach is off by a few. I put my 5" autometer w/shift light in my car and it is funny watching the 2 becuase the stock drags behind like a shadow. I have my shift light set at 5800 because that when the rev limiter kicks in, but my stock reads a little lower...I could finish out the 1/8 in 2nd gear if I had the 5" in my car the last time I took it to the track.
          Andrew

Comment

my tach is 400 RPM's off by the autotap...
            <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

just wait till your cars get really old. Back in 92 when I had my 77 T/A, we did a speed test in it. Idle was ok, but @ speed, we were shifting @ 6K. later when I got a mini tach, it idled the same, but @ 60, stock tach was off by 500 rpm, and @ 100 stock tach was off by 1k rpm. gotta keep an eye on that thing ;)
              1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
              2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
              94 comero 3.4

Comment

Well it looks like I need a shift light then - my 2002's tach is unreliable at WOT in 1st and 2nd.
                2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

i ran mine some today...with the new exhaust mods, it hits the limiter at 5400 in first :eek:
                  2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X