Is Our Hp & Torque Underrated Like The V8s? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Our Hp & Torque Underrated Like The V8s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Our Hp & Torque Underrated Like The V8s?

Had to ask the question because I think it's kinna weird and cool how we manage to hang with and beat the older 4.6s and 95-96 V6 Taurus SHOs. Not to mention the 5.0s which also suppose to have alot more torque than our cars.
    <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

No its not...The cars you can beat, dont have much power, and are heavy, geared differently...Oh yeah and they are made by ford ;)
    2002 Red M6 T/A<p>Heads, cam, blah blah...<br />427 rwhp and 401 rwtq - For now

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CrazyBosnian:
      No its not...The cars you can beat, dont have much power, and are heavy, geared differently...Oh yeah and they are made by ford ;) <hr></blockquote>

LOL. It's funny you said that because our cars are SUPPOSE to be heavier than theirs also. I was getting specs on the stangs. The 5.0s along with the newer V6 stangs are like 300lbs less than our cars. The 4.6s are around 50-100lbs less. GM is the shizznit!!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by shortdog273:

GM is the shizznit!!
        <hr></blockquote>

someone grew a brain!! lol.. just mess'n
        96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

Ford must have high overratings in hp/tq on their cars.

Comment

Just curious about these 5.0's that your racing. Are they automatics? Stock Ford automatics suck. I raced a bone stock 5.0 5 speed with 120,000 miles on it and it got me by just a couple of car lengths. The same as I lost to close to stock LT1's or new 5speed GT's. The older 4.6 GT's are super slow but the 5.0, LT1 and new 4.6 all seem to be about .3 apart or so in the quarter. Here that's a 14.7-15.0 or so.

Heck, I know of very close to stock 5.0's running slicks that can get 12's in the quarter in San Antonio.

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: Ttop34 ]</p>
            1997 Nassau Blue Vette<br />1989 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (lifted with 31\" tires)<br />2000 V6 Camaro, loud, cammed 210rwhp *SOLD*

Comment

yeah there was an article a while back in Hot Rod magazine about the mustang gts and they compared the newest style to the older style but not the 5.0's and a stock gt dynoed around 180rwhp, thats like some of our cars... and they did a lot of crap to it(intake, catback exhaust, pulleys, and some other things) and still didn't get it over 200rwhp! i'll look to see if i can find the article about it... gimme some time though i've gotta lot of these freakin magazines...

merlin
              2002 Firebird<br />2003 Yamaha YZF 600R

Comment

i think the the horse power is right on . it's the torque on some cars are underrated. some guys with small mods are getting close to flywheel ratings at the wheels.
                96 wht. firebird 5sd. rk sport headers,3in.catco, spintech catback,CAI,FRA,3.42/lsd 180*t-stat, centerforce dual friction clutch, ls1 driveshaft, polyurethane trans. mount.<br />01 blk. z28 m6, borla exht, lid, k<br />+n, sfc., chrome 18in. y2k c5 wheels.

Comment

My wife recently bought an 02 GT. It was rated 260 HP and 302 Torque. She had her brother dyno it... 234 HP, 269 Torque.

I believe the 99-00 GTs have less HP.
                  <b>Cheers!</b><br />Scott<br />1994 Camaro 3.4L V6<br />Flows, Underdrive Pulley, and a 180 Thermo

Comment

is that GT an a4 or m5? thats not too bad on the loss for the HP (esp if its an a4) but that torque seems pretty crappy

Comment

Compared to FWD 3800-II L36 like in a Bonneville our air box and exhaust looks a lot better. The FWD airbox is terrible and the exhaust puts all of the front bank exhaust into the rear bank manifold near cylinder #6 before having a single down pipe to the cat. Yet GM rates them 205 HP and 230 FT/LB torque.

Also, our 98+ cars have a pretty good air box and 2000+ have the tubular manifolds with no change in GM HP rating. It also seems that the Y87 dual outlet muffler ought to add a little power and torque but there is no official GM rating for it.

I think that the HP/Torque ratings are set by the marketing dept.and not the engineers.

Still for bench racing it would be nice if they would change or update the ratings when they changed the air box and the exhaust manifolds.
                      2002 Camaro Coupe<br />Navy Blue, A4, Y87<br />Whisper Lid, Raised Air Box<br />SLP Bow-Tie Grill, HPP3

Comment

Sigh, nope.
                        It is an ls1 f body thing only
                        Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                        nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                        2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                        2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Well fords must be junk and/or highly overrated. It's a shame on fords part that a heavier car with less hp can hang or beat em.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 93v6firebird:
                            is that GT an a4 or m5? thats not too bad on the loss for the HP (esp if its an a4) but that torque seems pretty crappy<hr></blockquote>

It's manual. In my hands the car is a slug.

My wife's brother, however, can push it to the low 14's. He did replace the shift (the stock one is pretty crappy) and add better tires.

The driver and experience makes all the difference...

[ August 27, 2002: Message edited by: ssbauer ]</p>
                            <b>Cheers!</b><br />Scott<br />1994 Camaro 3.4L V6<br />Flows, Underdrive Pulley, and a 180 Thermo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X