UD crank pulley for 3.8L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UD crank pulley for 3.8L

Do they make underdrive pullies for our 3.8L's I have tried searching everywhere online, and can't seem to find one, maybe someone can direct me the right way. Thanks guys, Derek
    160* thermostat, K&N cold air intake, pullies, red lights inside air condition vents, ZO6 17\"18\"back. Black letters inside fire red CAMARO lettering. (used electrical tape) Anyone know cheap mods? Still a student

Do a search, there's a bunch of threads talking about these for the 3.8 Also, www.zzperformance.com has some pulleys for the L36. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5
    Flowmaster 80 series muffler, B&M ripper shifter, SLP grille

Comment

Aminor65, has the underdrive waterpump pulley from zzperformance, he said he liked it.
      1997 30th Anniversary A4 w/ some mods

Comment

The car pretty much comes with decent pulley set, thats y so many people have power problems with stereos but- I would say that with the belt off the car is damn fast =) so a better set I would buy.
        97 Special Edition Bird , Short bus stlye special

Comment

Do you know where to get a set for the 3.8L? I definately need a new crank pulley to get me going down the road, and I will end up settling with another stock one if I have to...anyone got one? thanks
          160* thermostat, K&N cold air intake, pullies, red lights inside air condition vents, ZO6 17\"18\"back. Black letters inside fire red CAMARO lettering. (used electrical tape) Anyone know cheap mods? Still a student

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Takumi Fujiwara:
            The car pretty much comes with decent pulley set, thats y so many people have power problems with stereos but- I would say that with the belt off the car is damn fast =) so a better set I would buy.<hr></blockquote>

the alternator is pretty underdriven as it is, which would be the stereo problem traced.
            2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ZderekZ:
              Do you know where to get a set for the 3.8L? I definately need a new crank pulley to get me going down the road, and I will end up settling with another stock one if I have to...anyone got one? thanks<hr></blockquote>

As of yet, nobody is willing to make a crank pulley for our cars because the crank trigger is built onto it. As stated above, I have the WP pulley. It is 10 percent underdrive, 5.5". I opted not to get the alternator pulley. After
              I installed my WP pulley, the alternator voltage seems to go a little higher. I'm thinking because of the slack in the belt left after the installation of the WP pulley, that you could probably go with a 10% underdrive alternator pulley also, withoug changing belts or having significant voltage drop. It would be a tight fit though. Don't hold me to the two pulleys working on the stock belt because I haven't tried it. Hope this helps.
              <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

The thing is, I'd like 2 see a pulley set in maybe 5-10% underdriven, or even stock, but weighing much less than stock.
                2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />More mods than I\'m allowed to list!

Comment

The WP pulley is quite a bit lighter than stock. I bet stock WP pulley is at least 3 times heavier. Stock pulley is steel, this one is aluminum.
                  <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

Minor, where did you get your W.P. pulley from?
                    Zobe

Comment

AMinor, sorry that we're buggin' you with questions, but you seem to be one of the first to do the pulley mod! Which I'm considering heavily ...
                      I dig the lightness and the underdrive, I take that you haven't had any problems? And we're OK about crank trigger ... wait this is a WP pulley, not the main crank, eh? It would be nice to get lightweight pulleys on EVERYTHING, does it happen to be a common bolt pattern or anything that might match up to an import? They've got all the darn pulleys in the world, certainly something matches.
                      -Rob
                      <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

I mean ... don't pulleys just press on? So we could just find an import one (read: already dirt cheap) with the right diameter and width .... press it on ...
                        What am I missing? Might be hard to get specs on everything, but it's got to be worth it. ZZP, not to bash them as it's great that they made stuff and I'm totally in line to buy, is pricey. (as they should be, first on the market). A nice little Type R kit on my camaro, lol.
                        -Rob
                        <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wicked 3800 V6:
                          I mean ... don't pulleys just press on? So we could just find an import one (read: already dirt cheap) with the right diameter and width .... press it on ...
                          What am I missing? Might be hard to get specs on everything, but it's got to be worth it. ZZP, not to bash them as it's great that they made stuff and I'm totally in line to buy, is pricey. (as they should be, first on the market). A nice little Type R kit on my camaro, lol.
                          -Rob
                          <hr></blockquote>

Hey, you're not bugging me at all. I've thought the same thing that you have about trying to find pulleys from other cars that might fit. March Pulleys have quite a selection, I just don't know what's compatible. Oh, the WP pulley doesn't press on, it uses 4 screws.

Comment

I ordered the WP pulley ... despite the fact that it will be more shipping to do them separate, I'm going to wait on the alternator pulley, as I don't want to cause charging trouble. I can always put on the fan switch, but there's no switch for more juice!
                            Updates maybe this month, who knows when i'll have the time (15 mins) to install.
                            -Rob

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wicked 3800 V6:
                              I ordered the WP pulley ... despite the fact that it will be more shipping to do them separate, I'm going to wait on the alternator pulley, as I don't want to cause charging trouble. I can always put on the fan switch, but there's no switch for more juice!
                              Updates maybe this month, who knows when i'll have the time (15 mins) to install.
                              -Rob
                              <hr></blockquote>

Good deal! I think you'll like it, you'll feel it some.

Oh, nevermind the instructions when trying to put the belt back on. I think they're more for the FWD 3800 series II. I had to put my belt on all of the pulleys, and then muscle it over the idler pulley (lower passenger side) while working the tensioner pulley a little with my ratchet.

Believe me. It's nothing. You'll see what I mean by room for a 10% UD alt pulley without going to a larger belt. Also, look at your voltage before and after you install the pulley, because I didn't. Then you'll know for sure if you'll have any trouble running a 10% alt. pulley without significant voltage drop.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X