Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car backfiring

what is the reason for this?

when im at a stop, and then give it gas, not flooring it, i hear a nasty banging coming from the back? my brother told me it sounds like it is back firing but im not sure?? this problem is most likely linked to my car bogging at around 50 mph.

What do you guys think i need to do to resolve this banging/bogging? Thanks guys
    94 3.4L A4 white t-tops<br />moroso cai<br />3\"hi-flow pacestter exhaust<br />b&m shift kit<br />catco cat<br />01 T/A rear w/ 3.73\'s and posi<br />1 pc aluminum ds<br />blacked out signals

this prolly belongs in the exhaust section... but my guess is the cat. converter...

Comment

unless u have a nasty misfire if u get a flashing ses light then thats what it is
      i thought mine was backfireing till i foundout it is a misfire.
      <b><a href=\"http://www.sick-sixx.com\" target=\"_blank\">SICK-SIXX MEMBER</a></b><br />NA 14.345 with a 1.863 60 foot<br />Nitrous 13.03@99.5 with a 1.63 60 foot<br /><br />2000 Camaro 3.8L A4: USE TO HAVE Comp Cam 210/220 .535/.547 113lsa 111 I/C, Port and Polished Heads, NX Wet Kit 100 Shot, CPRA made by CP, RK Sport Headers

Comment

get new spark plugs and wires
        1998 green camaro, bear rotors.<br />It\'s not how much money you have, It\'s how many toys you have.

Comment

I dont think that the plugs and wires can cause a back fire out the muffler, they cause a misfire... and an SES light
          try your Cat, how many miles is on it?

Comment

Check your engine timing. If the timing is off it will backfire really bad.

If your engine timing is ok, then check your plugs and wires. If you have a missfire that can also cause a backfire.

Hope that helps.
            Thanks, <br />JAM<p>02 Firebird GT

Comment

thanks for the replies,

i am not 100% sure of a back fire....it sure sounds like it and feels like it, but it also feels like a bowling ball rolling around the back of my car!

what would explain the bogging out at like 50mph....now it also does it at higher speeds as well..like around 70, again just cruising,no stomping of the gas at all?

the car has 90,000 on it...last tune up was at 65,000....changed plugs and wires back in january...new cat ( approx. 1yr old)

last time i had a problem like this was 2 yrs ago, when first i got a tune up then i had to change my fuel pump. then the problem was gone?

if this helps..good
              if it dont...sh*t
              94 3.4L A4 white t-tops<br />moroso cai<br />3\"hi-flow pacestter exhaust<br />b&m shift kit<br />catco cat<br />01 T/A rear w/ 3.73\'s and posi<br />1 pc aluminum ds<br />blacked out signals

Comment

a friend of mine has an lt1 that backfires like nuts. He has like no exhaust pressure and it is running really really rich because he changed his pcm for more fuel for n20. You could have a few problems, maybe a plug isnt firing, but then you would have an SES
                maybe no exhaust pressure and the o2's arent reading it rigth and dumping a ton of fuel in the cyls, so maybe check them. Have you been runnig racing fuel or anything like that? Try some injector cleaner and find some econo gas and run like sunoco 86. good luck
                -Steve

Comment

the weird thing is, is that when i started my car up this morning for the 1st time i saw cloud of blue smoke??

so the 1st step i should take would be _______.?

thanks guys....im an idiot about this stuff so i greatly appreciate all the help.

Comment

Does it make this backfiring noise when accelerating or when you let off the gas? If its when your letting off the gas its more than likely something in the exhaust sytem. Check your muffler, with 90 on the odometer thats probably it.
                    Blue smoke is oil, so check for any signs of a leak. Also check your oil level

Comment

it was really bad today...as soon as i hit the gas..it bangs/bogs? it feels like it is hesitating, but not like a bad tranny feel.

and every morning on start up or if it was sitting a while, i will get a lil bit of blue smoke.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                        Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                        by ssms5411
                        Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                        1 week ago
                      • RPDRed6
                        For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                        by RPDRed6
                        Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • ssms5411
                        No start problem
                        by ssms5411
                        So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                        4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X