Engine Problem, I NEED HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Problem, I NEED HELP

i was coming from work yesterday night when i started to smell this burning oil thing. i said well it's okay is just the oil pan gasket problem i have that i haven't fixed yet. Suddenly the engine started to sound weird, doing little rattles, I was trying to pass a car and I noticed like a decrease on the power so decided to pull out from the highway. Then I’m seen how the oil gauge is going down and down and the engine rattle is now engine clunks.Next second the engine is death but at least i could find a safe place to be on the freeway. I got home in a tow truck.
    what do you guys think happened. ???
    this morning when I woke up i went to see my baby and I was able to crank her up. Then I cheeked the oil dipstick to find out it was black as hell with a funny smell. Last oil change was less than 4000 miles ago.
    if I fu**ed up my engine and going to have to wait at least 4 months. :(
    tax return won’t help me this year :(
    what a life :(
    at least I got her in my garage. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    thanks guys

[ April 05, 2003: Message edited by: 99redcamaro ]

[ April 05, 2003: Message edited by: 99redcamaro ]

[ April 05, 2003: Message edited by: 99redcamaro ]</p>
    2003 Mustang Mach 1 5 Speed<br />288 rwhp SAE 315 rwtq SAE<br />BFG DR\'s, SLP Loudmouth Catback, K&N CAI<br />60\': 2.145<br />13.41@105.67MPH (Stock)<br />--- Best et ----<br />60: 1.932<br />1/4:12.851@106.39MPH <br />best mph: 107.65

Doesn't sound too good. Sounds like as soon as the sound got worse, you should've shut her down then, and not waited for it to die on it's own. Either you lost all the oil in your car, or the oil pump died on you. Obviously, the engine didn't have any lubrication that's why it died. Have you drained the oil (or what's left of it)? Check for metal shavings in the oil. Something tells me that the oil pump is the problem here. The decreased oil pressure, loss of power, bad smell, and if you have oil left in the pan. As long as you don't start it ANYMORE!! until it's fixed you're problems will hopefully be solved. Just pray that running it to its death didn't do any other damage internally.
    Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD....you wanna hit it, but you\'re affraid of the consequences...<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=244935\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=244935</a>

Comment

Damn I hope you don't need a new engine

Comment

thanks guys, i'll check the oil pump tomorrow.
        2003 Mustang Mach 1 5 Speed<br />288 rwhp SAE 315 rwtq SAE<br />BFG DR\'s, SLP Loudmouth Catback, K&N CAI<br />60\': 2.145<br />13.41@105.67MPH (Stock)<br />--- Best et ----<br />60: 1.932<br />1/4:12.851@106.39MPH <br />best mph: 107.65

Comment

ok i was checking the oil, and still there is oil on the engine. it only needs a quarter can. i was checking for oil leaks on the floor, close to oil filter, i don't know exactly where the oil pump is, but checking the Haynes manual gave me an idea where this thing is located it, and no leaks in there neither. i didn't start her up, but i noticed the check gauges and service engine soon are set. the oil pressure is totally down, i cannot remember if is normal not having the engine on [img]smile.gif[/img] . the coolant level was low, and i know i need to flush the whole thing and replace it with new coolant and water. now that I’m thinking (cause i'm still in shock) yesterday before the problem i noticed the temperature gauge going up passing the 210 degrees just a little so i turned on the a/c to cool her down and it was fine for like 30 min.
          I just cranked her up today and it did fine, no problems at all starting, I even floored her a little and she gave me that beautiful sound as always, but I shut her down after that just in case.
          I’m so lost. I did a search on this and learned how a faulty sensor or a bad oil pump can cause this kind of problems.
          I should have a computer scan or something but I’m short of money right now. What do you guys think about this problem.
          How can I tell if the oil pump is bad ???. or could be the oil sensor ??

Thanks guys

Comment

anybody else...

Comment

Did you hear like a loud rapping sound? Like metal against metal? If so, you're pretty screwed. Time for an engine replacement. Shouldn't be a problem if you're still covered under warranty.

Comment

Well, it's like this. The oil sending unit could be the cause of your oil pressure gauge not having any indication. BUT.....that wouldn't explain the noises you heard. It's possible that when you added the 1/4 quart of oil and started it up, it was just enough lubrication on the valves to not make noises. You didn't run it very long did you? If the oil pump is inoperative, you're obviously not getting any lubrication in your valve train which isn't good at all!! It's possible I guess that it could be a bad piston ring/rings. Getting blow-by in the cylinders would maybe cause your problem. Either way, I would seriously consider taking the car to a mechanic to prevent further problems, and whatever you do....DON'T DRIVE IT!! Just because it didn't make noises the last time you started it doesn't mean the problem is gone. The low oil pressure and loud noises isnt't something you want to chance. Getting a rebuild or new engine isn't cheap. If it is under warranty....which I hope for your case it is, then it's all gravy. Seeing as how there was oil in the pan, I'm guessing it's PROBABLY the oil pump. Which by the way, is located inside the pan. I have no idea how to check them to see if they're operating properly so I'm no help there. Whatever the outcome is, I wish you the best. ;)
                Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD....you wanna hit it, but you\'re affraid of the consequences...<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=244935\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=244935</a>

Comment

my car has 102000 miles, so the warranty is gone :(
                  the sound was pretty bad, metal against metal, by the time i was trying to pull out the freeway the sound was getting worse and then the engine died on me.
                  like you guys said i think it's time for new engine :(
                  i'll do a research on prices and also i'm going to think seriuosly on V8 power. i'll let you guys now.

thanks all of you guys

Comment

sounds to me like you spun a bearing. That doesn't require a new engine, but it requires a little more than a weekend amateur can tackle (not to say that you are one).
                    You should contact an honest mechanic that'll give you the straight forward on your problem(s). That is, if there are any honest mechanics anymore :mad: .
                    In order to ghetto check the oil pump, you'll need to pull one of the the valve covers and start the engine. If oil pumps through the pushrods and gets in your eyes making you run for the nearest rag, your oil pump is working a-ok.

-Marc
                    sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X