had ignition problems?? look within

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• had ignition problems?? look within

a year ago I had ignition problems .. changed plugs and wires.. and all was well.. then realized a month later I ran the wires wrong and the miss came back.. put in new wires.. ran them much more carefully this time... and all was good..

this afternoon I was pulling out of my apartment complex and the car was running fine.. I go a couple of blocks.. then wait for someone to turn.. start to go on and BAM!.. car starts missing like crazy.. it was like someone threw a swtich.. i get lunch and on the way back home I get an SES light..

sooo...... my first order of business when I get off work is to get underneath and see if anything came off looked under the hood nothing seems out of place..

anyway my question is.. has anyone experienced an igintion problem like this?? one minute everything is fine the next the car is missing...
    when my wires went bad it was a gradual thing and was originally missing just when the engine was under a load..
    but this time it went from fine to a constant miss..

if you have had this happen what was your problem?? how did you fix it??

I forgot to add.. the motor was cold when it suddenly happened.. the car had been sitting up since the night before and was running for maybe 2 minutes when this happened..
    I stopped and popped the hood when it happened and was able to put my hand on the intake without burning it...

[ June 28, 2002: Message edited by: black98V6 ]</p>
    -Brad
    98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
    2000 V-Star Custom 1100
    If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
    :rock:

I had the same problem a while back. the #6 wire had gotten too close to the exhaust manifold, and melted through. Check all your wires, and if you end up replacing them, use tie wraps to make sure they don't wander around the engine...
    1997 Y87 Camaro with a motor and some stuff.

Comment

This happened to me a month ago and it was one of the wires came off of the spark plug from underneath. Go under the car and check to see if all wires are still on!!!
      Jeff ..
      1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
      2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
      1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
      http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sped214:
        I had the same problem a while back. the #6 wire had gotten too close to the exhaust manifold, and melted through. Check all your wires, and if you end up replacing them, use tie wraps to make sure they don't wander around the engine...<hr></blockquote>

That's exactly what happen to me when I changed my wires. I actually put the stock #6 wire back on and its been on every since i changed them 15000 mi ago.

Another thing that happen to me was when a couple days after i changed to plugs and wires I gunned the engine almost the point of peeling out and blew one of the coil packs cause it couldn't keep up with the new wires/plugs.
        ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

well so far I have checked 4 of the 6 plugs... unpluged and pluged back in all wires to make sure they are tight.. weather has me on hold.. oah well at least it's sort of driveable.. gonna see if autozone can scan the computer and see if it gives me a particular cylinder that is misfiring..
          -Brad
          2000 V-Star Custom 1100

Comment

well I went to autozone this morning.. had them scan the codes.. came up with a misfire on number 5.. I had already spent the money on a new set of plugs so I figured I'd do those first..
            changed plugs... swapped the #5 wire with one that SHOULD be good...
            I'm guessing that the problem isn't the coil because I don't get fire to the #5 cylinder but I get fire to the other cylinder on that coil...(this is just a theory at this point)..

I have gone ahead and ordered a new set of taylor spiro pro's and they should be here wednesday...

I had the codes scanned again and I came up with a misfire on #5 again.. cleared them.. so the next step is to try the new wires.. man I sure hope I'm not buying a new set of wires every year..
            -Brad
            2000 V-Star Custom 1100

Comment

well it seems to have been a bad coil.. I got a wild hair up my ... umm anyway.. I had a spare laying around and tried it.. took it up the highway running the ac the whole way letting the new coil warm up and still no miss.. so guess this goes to show that you can have a bad coil and it only missing on 1 cylinder and not the other..

anyway my baby is back!.. woo hoo!
              -Brad
              2000 V-Star Custom 1100

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                by ssms5411
                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                1 week ago
              • RPDRed6
                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                by RPDRed6
                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                3 weeks ago
              • ssms5411
                No start problem
                by ssms5411
                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X