Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine noise!!!

Please HELP...
    So for a couple days I have had a rattle/tick on my car. I thought it sounded like a heat sheild on my tranny that was loose. Well I check them out and they are fine. My fan is not rubbing. I was a little low on oil. I filled her up. My dad thinks it might be a lifter that is sticking. Does this sound right. And if so is there something I can do about it?

I also found my cooling problem. I have a real fine slice in one of my heater hoses.
    \"If I have seen further, it is by standing upon the <br />shoulders of giants.\" (Isaac Newton)

Could be a Y-pipe. Our cars are notorious for it. Do a search for y-pipe and see if the symptoms match yours.
    \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

Shadly thanks for the help. I ran a search and it sounds like I should have my valves and lifters checked out. Any one give me a ball park figure on this?

Dont buy from Low Book Sales
      \"If I have seen further, it is by standing upon the <br />shoulders of giants.\" (Isaac Newton)

Comment

What are the risk I run driving my car if the lifters are stuck or the problem I am having? Will I throw a rod?

TTT

Comment

Is the rattle/tapping sound you describe consistent w/engine speed (meaning as you increase engine rpm's, the rattle/tapping speed increases)?
          2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

Yes it is. IS it safe to drive to a shop? Around 30 miles. I have ran searches and pretty much think it is in the valve/lifter/ area. Is this what it sounds like.

Comment

Yes, sounds like a valvetrain problem. I'd take it to a shop soon & have it looked at. You risk further damaging the engine if you continue to drive it in its current condition. Make sure you keep an eye on the oil level. BTW, what weight oil are you using now?
              2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

It had 10w 30. I added 20w50 when I topped it off today. Should I have ran thicker? Thanks FIN

Comment

Lots of posts about this tonight. If you pull your valve covers, you can see the situation. If you find ANY gap at all between the rocker and valve, there you go. If you find a little gap in a few valves, readjust. If you find a good sized gap in one valve, replace your lifters.
                  \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

I bought some stuff called CD2 from the auto parts store. It is a strong oil detergent. It helped my tick/knock. I guess it was a gummed up lifter. I plan on chaging my oil to a syntech blend in a week or so. Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                      Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                      by ssms5411
                      Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                      1 week ago
                    • RPDRed6
                      For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                      by RPDRed6
                      Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                      3 weeks ago
                    • ssms5411
                      No start problem
                      by ssms5411
                      So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                      4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X