Engine coolant question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine coolant question

I'm about to install a 180 thermostat into my RS Camaro. Now when I go to put engine coolant back in, should I mix 50/50 water and engine coolant? I have the orange Dex cool because thats what the manual said to get but can I just pour that in or do I actually need to put in clean water as well? And usually how much fluid would I lose when taking the thermostat out?
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe, Daytona Blue, Frost leather interior, navigation, 18 inch wheels, M6, fully loaded, intake, crank pulley.<br /><br />Previous cars:<br />1991 Mustang (347)<br />2002 RS Camaro<br />1985 IROC-Z (305)<br />1994 Camaro convertible V6

Anyone?
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe, Daytona Blue, Frost leather interior, navigation, 18 inch wheels, M6, fully loaded, intake, crank pulley.<br /><br />Previous cars:<br />1991 Mustang (347)<br />2002 RS Camaro<br />1985 IROC-Z (305)<br />1994 Camaro convertible V6

Comment

I don't see you losing much coolant but I would drain it until the water line is below in inlet hose on the radiator. I always but a 50/50 in my 93.
      1995 Patriot Red T-Topped Z28 A4<br /><br />Mystery rebuild in progress.<br /><br />Soon to have 383 ways to beat KBreezy and Shane. :D

Comment

Doesnt the 2002's already have a 180 thermo in it?

By the way, you'll probably only loose a tiny amount of coolant, you can just use water and it will be fine.

Brendan
        2000 L36 M49
        I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess.....<br /><br />-Red Green

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lord_Verminaard:
          Doesnt the 2002's already have a 180 thermo in it?

By the way, you'll probably only loose a tiny amount of coolant, you can just use water and it will be fine.

Brendan
          2000 L36 M49
          <hr></blockquote>

All 4 gen F-bodies came with 195 thermos.

I would replace any lost fluid with Dex Cool.

[ August 06, 2003: Message edited by: John D. ]</p>
          2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

So our Tech Database is wrong? Thanks for clearing that up, I was originally not going to install one because I thought it already had a 180. Now I guess I will! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Brendan
            2000 L36 M49
            I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess.....<br /><br />-Red Green

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lord_Verminaard:
              So our Tech Database is wrong? Thanks for clearing that up, I was originally not going to install one because I thought it already had a 180. Now I guess I will! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Brendan
              2000 L36 M49
              <hr></blockquote>

Oh, wow.... I didn't realize the tech database called out the 98+ as having a 180 thermo. I would go with the tech database versus me

[img]graemlins/dunce.gif[/img] Sorry I gave bad advice, I WAS 100% sure on that till now.
              2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

Why would I need to drain it below the hose inlet?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by John D.:

Oh, wow.... I didn't realize the tech database called out the 98+ as having a 180 thermo. I would go with the tech database versus me
                  <hr></blockquote>

That's a known bug in the tech database.

Apparently it had 195 at one time, then some people said no,no,no it's 180, so it got changed.

But then later several of us pointed out that we had 195 stamped on our thermostats, and autotap reported exactly 195 degrees going down the road.

The tech database was just left as-is at that point.

The only exception to the 195 has been word-of-mouth that some hotter climate locations received 180 cars from the factory. But nothing that was across the board for a given year.
                  \'98 A4 Camaro v6-&gt;v8 conversion, and STS kit next<br />v6: 13.6 Powerdyne, 13.2 150 shot, 13.8 120 shot, 14.3 85 shot, 15.7 stock<br />v8(na): 12.18@113, 392rwhp<br />Moderator on <a href=\"http://www.mtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.mtfba.org</a> and <a href=\"http://www.frrax.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.frrax.com</a> (Road Race & Autocross)<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/johnduncan10\" target=\"_blank\">Car pics</a>, <a href=\"http://www.trscca.com\" target=\"_blank\">TN Region SCCA</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by John D.:

All 4 gen F-bodies came with 195 thermos.

<hr></blockquote>

NO, not all 4th gens came with 195 thermos. I have stock 180. MOST came with 195, but a few did come with 180. I'm not sure how to distiguish between them other than to take a temp reading.
                    <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by John_D.:

That's a known bug in the tech database.

Apparently it had 195 at one time, then some people said no,no,no it's 180, so it got changed.

But then later several of us pointed out that we had 195 stamped on our thermostats, and autotap reported exactly 195 degrees going down the road.

The tech database was just left as-is at that point.

The only exception to the 195 has been word-of-mouth that some hotter climate locations received 180 cars from the factory. But nothing that was across the board for a given year.
                      <hr></blockquote>

Ah, well that makes me feel a little better. I thought I was just making stuff up.
                      :D [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Red94Camaro:
                        Why would I need to drain it below the hose inlet?<hr></blockquote>

Everytime I took that hose of i got a shower of coolant, maybe mine was overfilled.
                        1995 Patriot Red T-Topped Z28 A4<br /><br />Mystery rebuild in progress.<br /><br />Soon to have 383 ways to beat KBreezy and Shane. :D

Comment

Well when I take out my stock thermostat, should I just fill it it the coolant or do I actually have to make a 50/50 coolant/water mixture? And how much should it drain out?

Comment

Refill with straight Dex.

Don't drain any out. Just do it when the car is cool. You will lose some when you pull the hose off, install the thermo, top off the radiator. Don't forget to bleed it off after your done.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X