a/c leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a/c leak

here goes the compressor on my 3.8 is not running and once I put a can of r134a into it, it kicks back on but by the next day it is empty again I know this sounds like a leak but I put a dye kit into it but could find nothing. another thing under the cap I don't have that little o ring would that cause me to lose the entire can in one day, the guy at discound auto parts told me it wouldn't make a diffrence. I have already researched this subject but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. Thanks for your help
    95 firebird a4 <br />slp cai, borla exhaust, trans go shift kit, corvette servo

You probably have a hole or a crack in some metal part somewhere, like the evaporator, where you can't see it. I'll bet you'll have to take it someplace for repairs.
    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Thanks do you know about how much I would be spending

Comment

I have the same problem, and am in the midst of fixing it. The shop quoted me 600-800 to replace compressor, accumulator, and valve along with charging the system. I went to autozone and bought the compressor, valve, and accumulator for 193 total. I am still waiting for the shop and my days off to coincide so I can get it fixed, but I figure by buying the parts myself I saved about 300-400. But I am estimating 100-200 for repairs and charging, could be less though.
        96 Firebird, Ram Air Hood and Airbox, Magnaflow Catback & hi-flow cat, Dynomax Bullet muffler

Comment

Anything you have the shop do is going to cost a fortune. If it's just a leak then you won't need all that stuff like whitefirebird96 has. But it all depends on where the leak is. I think a lot of times the evaporator springs a leak, but I don't know what all is involved in fixing it on an f-body. On some cars you have to take the whole dash out, which has to be a nightmare. On others you can swap it out pretty easily.

If your compressor is going out then you need to have a lot of stuff replaced, because the old compressor can leave residue that will damage the new compressor.

I'd read up on A/C repairs, and then take it someplace for a diagnosis. Then decide from there if you think you can fix it yourself.
          2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Thanks for you help guys

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated again due to fire
              by ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
              1 week ago
            • RPDRed6
              For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
              by RPDRed6
              Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
              3 weeks ago
            • ssms5411
              No start problem
              by ssms5411
              So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X