How to reach sparkplug #3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to reach sparkplug #3?

ok.. i need to change spark plug #3... now i know its the middle one on the driverside. I can reach down and touch 1 and 5.. but there was no way i could even touch #3 sparkplug (wire). There is this thing coming out from the side of the engine right above plug #3... the exhaust manifold i believe. and there is no way i can reach or even touch #3 plug.

i read that yall have changed all the plugs.. so how on earth i am suppose to replace that. What am i doing wrong.. do i need to take off something or what? or do i need to go from underneath.

any help would be much appreciated.. i really dont want to take it to the mechanics and pay $200 to change the plugs.

its a 99 firebird.

thanks

If its underneath the manifold then you need to get it from the bottom. Its not easy and you'll probably need a swivel adapter for your socket wrench. It is possible though. We've all done it, for the most part.
    -Kevin<br /><a href=\"http://heinz.no-ip.com/Car%20Pics/IM000117.JPG\" target=\"_blank\"><b>\'96 White Camaro RS M5</b></a> <br />GTP Shortblock - T3/T4 -6psi Intercooled<br />Open Downpipe

Comment

I am pretty sure that you need to pull your manifolds off
      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/profile/blackfbird_98\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/profile/blackfbird_98</a>

Comment

Originally posted by blackFbird_98:
        I am pretty sure that you need to pull your manifolds off
        [img]graemlins/slap.gif[/img]

all plugs are accessable without removing anything. try it from the bottom and see how your luck holds up [img]tongue.gif[/img]
        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

wow, Ive done all of them from the top. Didnt remove anything. Just get a small extension for the socket wrench. Its not that hard.
          2000 3800 II V6 Firebird<br />various small mods, bigger stuff later.

Comment

lol, i can finally add to the replys here, i changed my plugs a month ago for the first time after researching all the threads on this topic here. I changed all my plugs from the bottom except for the two that are on the front side of the engine on both sides. i literally crawled/sat on top of the engine carefully getting to those 2. i used a ratchet with a universal joint-- that is a necessity, i went out and bought one just for this job. And i used it on almost ALL of the plugs. the most difficult plug to get to is the middle one on the passenger side... other then that it is possible to do it as long as ure ratchet isnt to big, i beleave mine is 1/4 size and like 6 inches long. I beleave you should buy the same size ratchet.. if its too big it just makes it harder to get in there.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix6:
              wow, Ive done all of them from the top. Didnt remove anything. Just get a small extension for the socket wrench. Its not that hard.
              thats because you have tubular manifolds, us 99 and back dont :mad: :( . if u have a 2000 and up or have headers its easy.
              1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

i wouldnt call them headers ;) ....besides, there still a ***** to deal with
                2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

i thought the middle one on the passenger side was the hardest .... it sucked ... 1st time i did it was today took about 4 hours for new plugs -n- MSD Super Conductor Wire instal

Comment

i just changed mine about 2 weeks ago

you can get 1, 2, and 3 from the top of the car, and 4, 5, and 6 from the bottom

i found this the easiest IMO with a 5/8 spark plug socket, 3 inch extension, swivel socket, and a crow bar (to get some leverage on #3)

6 hrs later, all done
                    :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by loser:
                      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by phoenix6:
                      thats because you have tubular manifolds, us 99 and back dont :mad: :( . if u have a 2000 and up or have headers its easy. </font>[/QUOTE]Forgot about the manifolds being different, my bad.
                      2000 3800 II V6 Firebird<br />various small mods, bigger stuff later.

Comment

The older manifolds aren't that bad. I didn't take them off when I did my plugs...no swivel tool or anything. Just a rachet with extensions.
                        1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X