3.4 to 3.8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4 to 3.8?

if a 3.8 engine could be supplied for cheap, what all upgrades would i need to convert 3.4 to 3.8? lt1 would be too expensive for insurance..and i figure that i wouldnt have to chage the tranny or would i? and would the year of the 3.8 matter?
    3.4 teal firebird<br />160 thermostat<br />manual fan switch<br />throttle body bypass

just so you know, many insurance companies base insurance prices on what engine your vin says your car came with, not which engine it actually has in it. (at least thats what ive heard around here) You could easily find an lt1 as cheap as an lt1 and it would probably be almost just as easy to put in.

If you did a 3.8 you would want a pre 99 due to the difference in the throttle body. im not sure what the other differences are, but im sure there are some.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Yeah everything would probably bolt right up but why would you want to????
      If you dont want to drop in an 8, take the money u were gonna spend on the swap and spend it on your 3.4
      If you ask me, there's really no point in going from a 3.4 to a 3.8
      1994 white Firebird M5<br />Flowmasters, CAI, 3.73s, LSD, coated pacesetters, eibach pro-kit, bilsteins, hurst shifter, JVC stereo, 18\" C5 vette wheels, Kuhmo Ecsta ASX rubber<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/744299\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/744299</a> <br /><br />Coming Soon: Turbo!

Comment

I've got basically the same dilemna. How difficult is it to swap from a 3.4, auto 4L60E to a V8, T56? Is there a lot of engine bay mod's that need to happen?

austin

Comment

why would you wan't to drop a 3.8 in it??
          if your going to do a swap then get a LT1

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>why would you wan't to drop a 3.8 in it??
            if your going to do a swap then get a LT1<hr></blockquote>

Anyone can take a big motor and be fast. the 3.8 is a good motor and at least for me if I ever put the money in the car and have a fast 3.8 I can say I have something that not everyone has. I would respect a 13 sec. 3.8 over a 12 sec LS1 anyday. heck why get a LS1 why not just get a built 502ci and run 9's or rip thecar in to trying.
            white 1996 camaro 3800: flowmaster American thunder cat back. hypertech 160* stat, and manual fan switch

Comment

Man if it was me and I was going to do the Swap I wouldnt settle for a LT1 I would go For the new LS1, their packed with power..
              G

Comment

I opted for the 3.8L. I am about to put it in my car in about a month. You will want a speedometer corrector(to correct for what gearing you have), full accessories, wiring harness, and computer. Make sure you get the part of the harness that connects to the o2 sensors by the catalytic converter...and put o2 simulators on that harness. Should bolt up to the tranny I'm almost positive they have the same bell housing(there is large and small, and they have the small one). As for VATS, i think the 3.8 computer will work with the module in the car already.

As for why 3.8 over 3.4 rebuild, here is why I did it:

I have 137k miles on my 3.4L.
                For the 53k 3.8, i gave $600..cheaper than half the cost of rebuilding the 3.4L with 40hp more.

3.8L has a better valvetrain (i think the hydraulic roller cam over the 3.4l tappet(sp?) cam)

The most I could get out of the 3.4L NA was 225 crank hp. The most I can get out of the 3.8L, 278 crank hp. (both were cammed, full P&P work, free flowing exhaust and intake, no comptuer reprogram)

Just something to think over. Not knocking 3.4L, but where i am coming from, the performance to hassle to cost is just in favor of replacing my 3.4l with a 3.8l.
                2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE D20 M5 - Modified ;) <a href=\"http://www.knightenmotorsports.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.knightenmotorsports.com</a> <br />[ U R L = h t t p : / / w w w . g e o c i t i e s . c o m / h e a r t l a n d _ h e a t _ v 6 ] Heartland Heat V6 [ / U R L ]

Comment

Good luck...

I never reccomend it...

and I have owned both, not worth the swap...

Reason why it was worthowhile for me, si I went from a 10 year old car car with 130k to a 4 year old car with 30k...

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone
                    3.4 teal firebird<br />160 thermostat<br />manual fan switch<br />throttle body bypass

Comment

Your insurance will definately go up if you go to a v8. If you dont report the swap and you cause an accident insurance wont pay for it. I dont know you financial situation but if your where I am at you should wait till your making more then just go all out. As for the engine swap I know nothing so i cant help you there.
                      There is fast, too fast, and way too fast. Way too fast is almost fast enough.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X