No announcement yet.

Overheat after start-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the posts folks! Im taking it over to my mechanic tomorrow and have give this another check - Im just afraid if something does goes out, I'll be in the middle of no-where! Jon

Comment

Is there a lot of build up in your radiator?

I though that maybe there is a ton of buildup in your cooling jackets or in the block. when you floored it, it seems something got loose, this is totally just a thought. it very well could be your coolant t. sensor.
      Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by viper04af:
        I think you need a new water pump... about 30 bucks and about 1 hours or so to change it out.... if yo have over 80k miles its way over due to be replaced
        where can you get it for $30 bucks :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by BiH:
          </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by viper04af:
          I think you need a new water pump... about 30 bucks and about 1 hours or so to change it out.... if yo have over 80k miles its way over due to be replaced
          where can you get it for $30 bucks :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]theres this place called advanced auto i think it was like $33 with tax
          www.turbov6camaro.com
          1997 3800 Series II Camaro
          4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
          7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
          11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

UPDATE: Seems that this overheat problem doesnt want to go away, nor doesnt want to happen when my mechanic is looking at it. Thermostat appears to be OK, coolant sensor also appears OK, water pump is OK, no leaks of any kind, no signs of head gasket problems, all fans work. So now I wait until it happens again!! Thanks to all the good posts out there! Jon

Comment

Originally posted by videoedit:
              UPDATE: Seems that this overheat problem doesnt want to go away, nor doesnt want to happen when my mechanic is looking at it. Thermostat appears to be OK, coolant sensor also appears OK, water pump is OK, no leaks of any kind, no signs of head gasket problems, all fans work. So now I wait until it happens again!! Thanks to all the good posts out there! Jon
              did he take the water pump off and look at it? don't matter if its leaking or not if its wore out you can only tell by taking it off
              www.turbov6camaro.com
              1997 3800 Series II Camaro
              4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
              7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
              11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Originally posted by viper04af:
                </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by videoedit:
                did he take the water pump off and look at it? don't matter if its leaking or not if its wore out you can only tell by taking it off </font>[/QUOTE]word, ok, maybe not a fee mod but check it for a few $ buy a gasket and check the water pump yourself.

10mm, 13mm, 15mm, and a screwdriver or something to that matter will work.

loosen the 4 bolts on the water pump pulley, not much, but jsut enough to start them loose. then use the 15mm and pull your belt off, this you will then be about 5 minutes into it. drain the system(could use a flush anyway) and pull the water pump off. look to see if the fins are still there and the pump turns easily. put the new gasket on and do everything backwards. if your water pump is bad then go buy one and replace it and stick the gasket that came with the water pump in the original gasket bag and return it. then your still only out $33 and if the water pump looked good then you are only out a few dollars from the gasket. then pull your thermo out and put the housing back on. take your radiator out and put a garden hose full blast in one of the line, let me remind you that water will be everywhere.(dont get it into your intake) rev that baby up and flush it for a while until the water is so good you would drink it straight from your engine. then take your radiator and flush it with the garden hose from all passages. make sure that is good water too. then flush out your over fill bottle thing till its clean, you wont beleive the crap in there. once this is all done put your car back together and fill the radiator with water. start it up and wait till your thermo opens and lets water in the engine. (over fill bottle bing already full) your car will heat up a little too hot so have a gallon or so of water with you as you drive around the block. fill the radiator again and fill your over-fill bottle. you should be good.

OH yeah, forgot the basics. is your airdamn still there or obstructed in any way.

I gaurantee it is either the water pump, or an obstruction in your lines or passages.

stop posting and going to the mechanic and just change the stinken water pump. or at least look at it. then post your results. all we can do is guess until YOU can do some troubleshooting with YOUR OWN CAR&gt; do it and im sure you will find the problem fast.

by the way, this novel was written and published by....
                96 Camaro 3.8 A4 Basemodel: 8 mm wires, Shift Kit, Hollowed <br />Cat(o2 sims), RKSport exhaust, IAT 5.6K resistor, Home Depot CAI<br />&gt;&gt;&gt;15.375 @ 89.27&lt;&lt;&lt;NEW BEST TIME <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X