X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sawzall, my friend [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

3 hours to remove your cat? just take your pipes off and bring them in. it took me less than 30 minutes to cut the cat out and weld a pipe in place of it.
      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/483076\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/483076</a> <br />TSP rumbler, straight pipe, corvette servo. <br />Soon - 3.42+lsd,headers, cai,

Comment

That Goody Year shop is also the shop that royally f'd up my headers (Blew a gasket in under TWO weeks, and my exhaust rattles more now than it ever did and has gotten worse and worse) needless to say I'm not taking my car back to that place, 5 times in 2 months is enough for me. I firgure I'll need to learn how to weld at some point in my life might as well do it now.

A sawzall would be nice but I don't have one, but I bought a nice little $5 hack saw with some metal cutting blades, should do the trick. Thanks for all your help!!!
        Ben<br /><br />1995 White/Black 3.4L<br />As far away from stock as possible<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=288292\" target=\"_blank\">My Site!!!</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.redlinevsix.com\" target=\"_blank\">RedLineV6</a><br />Rebuild and 3.4 T70 Turbo is complete<br />Details to come....

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by StudlyCamaro:
          thats not welding .. thats brazing... there is a HUGE difference<hr></blockquote>

technically, alumaloy is not brazing since it never gets hot enough. it would probably be considered soldering (alumaloy is mostly zinc which acts as a flux and solder).

brazing (or soldering) is going to plenty strong for exhaust pipes (assuming you have slip joints that you are connecting). the biggest problem is that exhaust pipes dont heat up fast. it can be difficult to get them hot enough. the surrounding work area need to be shielded.

Comment

I have only tried arc welding... wasn't that easy, I got it to work but it wasn't pretty in the end it's worth taking it to a shop [img]smile.gif[/img]

Like said above I kept getting the stick stuck ot the metal...

And boy were my welds pretty... they held up for my application but were not strong at all!

Comment

Welding is piece of cake, although it depends on what your using to weld and what your welding. If your using MIG, thats a piece of cake, but if you want durability, i would recommend TIG. If your welding exhaust pipes, your gonna need more than a couple hours of practicing with a tig welder, especially if your working with 1/16 or 1/32 inch metal. You could use MIG and have it last and it will for a while, but i would recomend TIG, its ALOT harder and you need to find someone who knows how to do it to teach you because its not something you can just pick up and know what to do. Where do you live? i might be able to help you out, and also what are you going to use, TIG or MIG?
              1998 Firebird 3.8L<br />Whisper air lid with K&N<br />Texas Speed and Performance Rumbler catback<br />Hypertech 160 degree Powerstat<br />AIM ID= defect111<br />Groveland Township Firefighter

Comment

the boiled down, simple version of how to weld:
                it si the same motion as coloring with crayons. jsut keep the tip a little bit off the material and it will reach out and "color" in the space between the two pieces of metal on it's own.
                actually the hardest thign to get used to is judging what temp and wire speed to use. that jsut comes with practice, until then just keep looking at the little chart that is usually somewhere on the welder case.

later
                tim
                NJ SPEEDER<br />1976 Camaro LT<br />Crate 350, TH350, 3.90 posi<br />New Jersey F-Body Owners Association<br /><a href=\"http://www.NJFBOA.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.NJFBOA.org</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                  Good to see the site is back up
                  by 2.8 Bird
                  So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                  6 hours ago
                • FirebirdGT
                  New Site Hosting Issues
                  by FirebirdGT
                  All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                  1 week ago
                • LETZRIDE
                  New Owner!
                  by LETZRIDE
                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X