Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do this, but use an 18KOhm Resistor.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ricker_mod.htm

Again, this is ONLY needed on 2001-2002 cars running 160 stats. Anything else (2000 model running 160, 2001 running 180, anything) does not require this!!
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mikey:
      Can someone explain what this does and how its done... <hr></blockquote>

A good example is: If you buy a JetChip, you are "supposed" to put a 160* stat in there to work well with the chip. But if you go that low it kicks a SES light on. This takes care to the SES light.
      1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28<br />1987 Buick Grand National

Comment

Yes, I do have a 2001. So this increases the timing, giving slightly better performance. Nice, thanks guys. [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
        Go Fast or Dont Go

Comment

waht if you have the hpp3 and set up the engine tunign on it and later decide to do this mod will it the advanced timing of the 160 mess with what the hpp3 does?
          no fate but what we make<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748167/1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748167/1</a>

Comment

Got the resistors from Dominic. Did the install on two 2001 V6s -- one 5 speed and one automatic and both with HPP3 (blackbyrd). Have run each about 100 miles with no problems. The 5 speed has always run rough, however, now it has smoothed out. Maybe it always had a bad IAT sensor.
            2001 Camaro M5 Coupe(1 of 2,737), no options, Whisper Lid, K&N Air Filter, Free Ram Air, MAFS Screen removed, SLP Manual Fan Switch, 160 thermo, DEE\'s T/B Spacer, EGR Block-off plate, IAT resistor, CAI to EGR air feed, B&M Ripper Shifter, SLP Replacement Grill, T/A Exhaust, SLP five spoke take-off wheels, BMR strut-tower brace, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR 32/21 front & rear sway bars with poly, BMR Poly/Combo Rear Control Arms, Clear front & rear corners, HPP3 modified 87 Octane program.<p><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/red2k1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/red2k1</a>

Comment

I was considering doing this, however my thoughts are here in TX where we see many 100+ F days I dont know how good it would be for the engine to think it was getting nice cool 57 degree air when in reality it was getting 100+ degree air. Seems to me the engine would run hotter thus causing possible long term damage. I would only do this mod with the 160 thermostat and an electric fan that can be turned on when the engine temp gets up there.
              01 Firebird <br />Whisper Lid - K&N<br />Raised Air Lid - Free Ram Air<br />Borla Cat-Back Quad tips<br />3.42s with lsd on the way

Comment

I have the same concern... I am in Florida where summers are sometimes brutal. This will not hurt the car at all? Does the cooling system work as well in the heat? This is all kind of confusing since i don't know jack about cars. Then again, if its a 160 degree, wouldn't it make everything kick on sooner and make the engine run cooler? If all is well what brand themostat would you all recommend?
                Clayton - White 99 Firechicken<br />*********************************

Comment

Actually the 18,000 Ohm resistor is more like 10degF, not 57 :D . It probably does increase timing, for what its worth, but the main benefit is the ability to run a 160 thermostat without the following inherant problems that 2001-2002 cars have.
                  • Engine SES Light Appears
                  • Cooling Fans kick on HIGH in a protection mode
                  • Coolant Gauge on dash dies

I hear anything between 16K and 20K will work, I chose 18K to be "safe". I could not find these resistors at radio snack, and when I ordered mine I had to do it in bulk. I have a lot of these, plenty for all the 2001-2002 guys here who need some. If you'd like one please email me, I'll send you a few for a dollar [img]smile.gif[/img]

The 160 thermostat does not harm anything on our cars, nobody has had excessive engine wear or oil dilution or anything of the like from running one even in winter. My heater works fine when its 30degrees out so no complaints there. If you'd like to run a 160 and own a 2001-2002, you need to run this resistor or the above will occur. I have over 1,000 miles on my car since I did this mod and it has solved my problems completely :D

On the highway the coolant gauge reads below the 2 of 210, and around town with the HPP3 fan reprogram it never goes over 190 (never ever points straight up). Sitting in dragstrip lines no longer is a worry because I don't cook my engine as goes for rushour traffic, and my A/C still functions normally [img]smile.gif[/img] .
                  2002 5-spd NBM Camaro

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dominic:
                    ...HPP3 fan reprogram it...<hr></blockquote>

what is that, and do you have a brand of thermostat to recommend?
                    Clayton - White 99 Firechicken<br />*********************************

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Clayton:

what is that, and do you have a brand of thermostat to recommend?
                      <hr></blockquote>

http://www.hypertech.com
                      Thunder Racing and Tbyrne sell them, I think lmperformance joined in selling them too. Its a PCM reprogrammer that has several nifty options for 2000-2002 owners, one happens to be coolant fan switch temp on/off reprogramming.

The thermostat to get is labeled as a Hypertech but is manufactured by "MotoRad" (if you read the thermostat). Its part 1009 from Hypertech, SLP sells them and so does thunder racing.
                      2002 5-spd NBM Camaro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X