What is the point of the "service vehicle" light? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the point of the "service vehicle" light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the point of the "service vehicle" light?

Anyone ever had it lit up??? It never lit up for any maintenance or anything. Is it for something other than the engine, since thats what the SES is for?
    1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

I've had it go off when I had a few fuses missing [img]smile.gif[/img] oops.

But I've never heard of it going off other than that
    2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

I think it is for chassis/ non engine malfuntions. Maybe if the Transmission speed sensor breaks or something.

I thought it would be for ABS failure, but that has its own warning light.
      1999 red camaro v6 M5: with a turbo<br />13.52@107.99<br />No, seriously: Who Farted? <br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/600086\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/600086</a>

Comment

well if you have a scann tool or take it up to auto zone you can have it read and see what could be wrong with your car. its very helpful.
        40th Ann GTp 4door

Comment

the check engine light will light up usually when there is a malfunction that the ecm cannot correct. On one of my cars the check engine light comes on because the air intake temp sensor is bad. But if you can scan it with a scan tool you can usally narrow down the problem. and hopefully correct it on your own.
          1990 Firebird 3.1 T-Tops<br />Flowmaster exhaust<br />Kenwood MP 825 Deck<br />4\" Rockfords w/ tweet in dash plate<br />3 Way 6x9 Rockords in rear sails<br />1970 Camaro 350

Comment

the only reason that it will come on is if there is a bad sensor of any kind. crank sensor, o2 sensor, etc. mine is on because of a o2 sensor, you can get a scanner at autozone that fits chevy's for i think 24.99 thats what i did or they will scan it for free. the only way to find out what sensor it is, unless car is running sloppy is to get it scanned
            1997 Camaro RS<br /><br />3\" Flowmaster Exhaust,Pacesetter headers,Catco Cat,Cold Air Intake,Clear bumper lights altezzas,chrome rear bumper letters,chrome badges, headlight conversion kit(soon to come),2 12 MTX Thunder 8000, MTX 6500d amp, Fosgate 1 farad cap

Comment

I think some of you are getting the SERVICE VEHICLE and SERVICE ENGINE SOON mixed up. I'm just wondering what is the difference. Nothing is wrong with my car.
              [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
              1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

service vehicle is for non-critical items--typically burned out bulbs.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by chas:
                  service vehicle is for non-critical items--typically burned out bulbs.<hr></blockquote>

I've had plenty of burned out bulbs, but that never lit up,.,.,.,.

Comment

same here, but on other gm vehicles the service vehicle soon is used for that purpose. f-body's dont seem to implement this feature but you get the light anyway. i imagine everyone has the 'tcs disabled' lit but its non functional on vehicles w/o tcs.

Comment

Alright people, if you don't know, then shut up.

1) F1GT - have you checked your manual?
                      2) In my 98 I don't have it, however there are lights for engine oil and coolant level. If you check your manual you might find that these have been rolled into one. Again, I don't know so I'll shut up.
                      <a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six</a> <br /><b><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/c_o_jones\" target=\"_blank\">Cardomain</a></b><br />--This doesn\'t change the fact that I am ~The Guru~ who still kicks puppies...

Comment

fine. from my manual, pg 2-88:

"This warning light should come on in your instrument panel for a three-second bulb check when you first start your vehicle. If the light doesn't come on, have it serviced. This light will stay on steady if you have certain non-emission related vehicle problems. These problems may not be obvious and may affect vehicle performance or durability. Consult a qualified dealership for necessary repairs to maintain top vehicle performance."

however, that being said, practically everything (even non-emissions related, like transmission) lights 'check engine'. btw, this is from a '99 manual. my '99 has a seperate 'check oil level' light as well. as i said before, this light is typically used on other gm vehicles to indicate out bulbs. the f-body doesnt support this so i imagine that this light will almost never be lit (except during bulb check).

Comment

Hey cranky chas, I was actually addressing the other postees that reply instantly with "Go to autozone and get your car scanned."
                          Didn't mean to tick you off.
                          <a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six</a> <br /><b><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/c_o_jones\" target=\"_blank\">Cardomain</a></b><br />--This doesn\'t change the fact that I am ~The Guru~ who still kicks puppies...

Comment

those people arent necessarily wrong. if its not plainly obvious you will need to scan the code to see what's wrong. it would be nice if these pontiac would flash the codes on the odometer (caddies will put up the codes on the climate control center although most caddie owners dont do their own repair work so it seems pointless to make it easy for them).

[cranky chas is only one of many fine services i offer]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X