Throwing SES at high speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throwing SES at high speeds

During the past week or so, ive been beating the **** out of my car more than usual, making a few 110+ MPH runs on some bare country roads. I am finding that occaisionally when i attain these high speeds, the car will throw on the SES light. Im guessing it is misfiring Ive never read of anyone else with these problems, but can someone give me some insight. I have '97 Camaro.

if it flashes an ses light it is definitly a misfire code
    <b>2000 Firebird </b><br /><i>old setup </i>- Automatic Whisper lid, Borla catback, shift kit w/ V8 servo, 3.42 gears w/ LSD, PI 3000 converter, <br /><br /><i>14.703@90.92, 2.01 60\' </i>(intake and exhaust)<br /><br /><i> new setup </i> swapped over to LS1 413.9rwhp/398.7rwtq<br /><a href=\"http://www.thunderracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.thunderracing.com</a>

Comment

Same thing in my 97 Bird. Went to Autozone just to confirm my missfire suspicion, and it's just that. Mines #1.
      94 Firebird 3.4 - RIP<br />97 Firebird 3.8 - In the works

Comment

buy new plugs and wires and then go 110 mph ^.^

I have everything stock, but my car is constantly throwing a code b/c i dont have a cat.. i need to get an o2 sim -_=. i ran stock wires and plugs to 120mph, notihng went wrong but i did loosen an intake gasket and leaked antifreeze, 500$ to fix =X
        brink<br />1998 White Camaro 3.8L V6:<br />Flowmaster Exhaust<br />No cat (straight pipe)<br />Free Ram-Air<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/98camaro98\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/98camaro98</a>

Comment

But heres the odd thing about this, the SES light will flash 1 time when i make the run, and then just stay on. No flashing. The car also runs completely fine, nothing different at all.

My theory is that the car is misfiring at those high speeds...and then the light stays on for awhile until it realizes its not misfiring anymore, because its only doing it at high speeds. If i do that, then drive normal for a few days, it usually goes off.

Comment

the ses light will stay on after any problem occurs regardless if it is happening or not just to be a reminder and/or so a code checker can see the code after the problem has gone away.
            mine is having a similar issue, if i shift it down into first and drive it till the rpms are around 3k-4k, it will make that light start to flash

Comment

how can you tell if your car is misfiring *o.O*
              brink<br />1998 White Camaro 3.8L V6:<br />Flowmaster Exhaust<br />No cat (straight pipe)<br />Free Ram-Air<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/98camaro98\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/98camaro98</a>

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenPunisher:
                But heres the odd thing about this, the SES light will flash 1 time when i make the run, and then just stay on. No flashing. The car also runs completely fine, nothing different at all.

My theory is that the car is misfiring at those high speeds...and then the light stays on for awhile until it realizes its not misfiring anymore, because its only doing it at high speeds. If i do that, then drive normal for a few days, it usually goes off.
                first get the code read..if it reads a cylinder or random cylinder misfire..change the plugs/wires..by looking at the plugs you should be able to tell if you are misfiring..about the SES light..if it just comes on it means something is wrong..but not very dangerous to keep driving on..emissions or something..when the light comes on flashing..it means DO NOT keep driving the car like this..it will stop flashing and remain on like you were saying..i believe on our cars..as long as the problem in not continuing..the light will turn off after 3 millicycles
                <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

the light will flash under any cicumstance of misfire. it will then go to solid if you are able to control the misfire such as slowing down or whatever(depending on the severity of the issue) it will NOT turn off after 3 millicycles. the computer has to reset itself. if the light is solid, its not a big issue unless the light comes on and is flashing and continues to keep flashing constantly or often when appylying gas.
                  PS. the light observes emissions. if it comes on and stays solid, you are having an issue with emissions

Comment

The light only flashes when the misfire can cause damage to the catalytic converter.

Originally posted by brink:
                    ^.^
                    -_=
                    =X
                    *o.O*
                    wtf?
                    Matt
                    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
                    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

^ i was thinking the same thing, he tends to do that in most of his posts. but yea definatly go and get the code checked out.good luck with everything and tell us what happens.i havent had a ses light yet ( luckly)
                      1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Light went back off. My conclusion to this after 3 occurances is that the car is simply having a misfire every once in a while at high speeds, and the light just stays on for a bit...then goes off after about an hour of driving. Thats my observation.

Comment

wait, i have an idea. Get the code checked out bla bla bla... but can you tell if it is a misfire? my old camaro did this at high speeds too. it turned out to be the TCS sensor. (temp. COntrol sensor I think thats what it is called) But at the same time it was the mass air flow cosde too. but the MAFS was ok. because when the TCS went so did the MAF. so u figure it out.
                          Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

another great observation to tell if your car is misfiring would be some visual smoke as well as a significant drop in power when you punch it. Thats what happend when the person who sold me my car installed the wrong coils yay!
                            Borla exhaust, headers and intake coming soon...(delayed)<br /><br />To be fixed:Bent rim, minor scatches

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X