What do you guys think about this ignition setup... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think about this ignition setup...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think about this ignition setup...

Looking ot possibly avoid any misfire mishaps in the future... I am looking for a setup to avoid misfires do to fried plugs/wires do to high underhood temps.

so...

Taylor Spiro-Pro 8mm Spark Plug Wires, 1995-1999 3.8l V6 F-Body, Blue(assuming they will fit my 2k)

Also what plugs do you reccomend? NGK?
    If so what are some that will hold up to hotter heat.

also was looking at adding this...
    -Taylor Fire Sleeves, Silicone Covered Braided Fiberglass, Continuous protection up to 500°F, Pkg of 8

Or do you think it might even be worth the $10 more and for..
    -Taylor Fire Sleeves, Heat Treated Fiberglass, Provides protection up to 1200°F, Pkg of 8

And do you guys know of anything to protect the boots?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MustangEater8251:
    Looking ot possibly avoid any misfire mishaps in the future... I am looking for a setup to avoid misfires do to fried plugs/wires do to high underhood temps.

so...

Taylor Spiro-Pro 8mm Spark Plug Wires, 1995-1999 3.8l V6 F-Body, Blue(assuming they will fit my 2k)

Also what plugs do you reccomend? NGK?
    If so what are some that will hold up to hotter heat.

also was looking at adding this...
    -Taylor Fire Sleeves, Silicone Covered Braided Fiberglass, Continuous protection up to 500°F, Pkg of 8

Or do you think it might even be worth the $10 more and for..
    -Taylor Fire Sleeves, Heat Treated Fiberglass, Provides protection up to 1200°F, Pkg of 8

And do you guys know of anything to protect the boots?
    <hr></blockquote>

i would add MSD coils and go with the 1200* ones for the extra 10 bucks
    www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
    7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
    11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by viper04af:

i would add MSD coils and go with the 1200* ones for the extra 10 bucks
      <hr></blockquote>

I am going to keep the stock coils for now, I will consider doing those at another time...

any idea on the plugs?

Comment

NGK tr55's regapped to .060. had them for roughly 6 months.. not a single problem with those.

i also have the taylor spiro pros.. no heat sleeves. no problems..

sleeves WOULD add the extra security though
        96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tyler:
          NGK tr55's regapped to .060. had them for roughly 6 months.. not a single problem with those.

i also have the taylor spiro pros.. no heat sleeves. no problems..

sleeves WOULD add the extra security though
          <hr></blockquote>

how do you like your SPEC stage 3?
          www.turbov6camaro.com
          1997 3800 Series II Camaro
          4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
          7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
          11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

its going in this friday the 20th. i'll let you know after it breaks in
            96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MustangEater8251:
              <hr></blockquote>

I highly doubt that youll melt you wires (unless you let the wires lay across your engine and you drive across the country) and i know that you wont fry you plugs from underhood temps. If you do however think that your underhood temps will get high enough to "fry" a spark plug then you probably have a bigger problem, then looking for new wires and plugs, on your hands.

Hope that helps [img]smile.gif[/img]
              <a href=\"http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4187730&a=31095602&f=\" target=\"_blank\"> 2000 Black Firebird Y87 </a> <br />K&N filter, Whisper Cold Air Intake, Cutout Exhaust;<br />3.42 Gears, LSD;<br />160* Powerstat, Removed Silencers, MAF screen removed;<br />Zex hyperformance Spark Plugs, MSD Superconductor Wires, Manual Fan<br />Switch<br />15.08@90.86 2.149 60ft

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by firebirdrumble00:

I highly doubt that youll melt you wires (unless you let the wires lay across your engine and you drive across the country) and i know that you wont fry you plugs from underhood temps. If you do however think that your underhood temps will get high enough to "fry" a spark plug then you probably have a bigger problem, then looking for new wires and plugs, on your hands.

Hope that helps [img]smile.gif[/img]
                <hr></blockquote>

Actually it doesn't...

If you were talking about my old 3.4L or any of my 3 previous cars or just about any other car I would agree with you...

You do know that 3.8Ls are very prone for misfireing the in the ignition system? Soemthing I have heard about since I back in 99 when I started on the v6 boards. Problems have been from boots getting to hot to cracking up, and plug wires not working to full potential, actual spark plugs cracking and fried coils. Most common is the #6 cylinder.

Such a problem so... that a Sticky thread was started here...

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...threadid=78028

Read that thread, many have had misfire problems, so much so that their is a TSB(technical Service Bulletin) put out by GM, and on some years they will replace ignition components for free(plugs, wires, coils) Most common one is the #6 ignition wire...

It is something to keep an eye on... I figure if I am doing plugs and wires, might as well put a little extra money towards it to avoid these problems and maybe stop the problem.

Take it for what you want but personally I think ignition and fuels systems running ideal are very important on the car's running abilities. Jsut my expereince on passed cars, I had the wires on the passenger bank of my 3.4L get exhasut blown on them from where my EGR busted during an autocross... over some time, my times dropped nearly a half second I coudl not figure out what was wrong... then I noticed one of my wires looked hardened. I moved it it cracked. I replaced it(since my sets came with 8 wires, and I only used 6) and the car started running stronger, for the hell of it replaced them all car ran back to normal.

[ February 14, 2004: Message edited by: MustangEater8251 ]</p>

Comment

I used the Taylors for the 95-99 cars with the 1200* fire sleeves. These can be used to protect the boots as well. The sleeves have a metal ring in the end of them that can be bent to fit over the boot as well. It's really easy to do and hasn't given me a minute's trouble.
                  2000 3.8L Firebird, Silver Metallic<br /><br />\"Yes, London. You know, fish, chips, cup o\' tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary f***in\' Poppins, London!!\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X