Major Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Problems

Today my 97 Firebird with 62,000 on it started losing power all of the sudden. I first noticed the exhaust to sound a little deeper. Then it started to lose power and didnt want to rev past 3,000. It didnt want to go up steep hills at all. Eventually by time I made it home it surge from 500 to 1,500 at idle. Autozone got 3 codes. They said it was multiple random missfires. Just put new plugs and wires on it. Ive kept it tuned up and never abuse it. Today I noticed the PCM was all lose. The plastic mount that holds it was broke and it was just wiggling around in the corner. Im gonna start tomorrow by checking all the plug wires to make sure there not burnt in any spots. If anyone has any ideas please help me. Im puzzled. [img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]

welcome to the boards--sorry the first post had to be such a negative one.

now about the plugs and wires--check them and make sure they are all plugged in well...sometimes they can wiggle themselves loose. you might also want to check all the wires leading to the pcm as well after you get it fastened back in. if you are getting misfire codes and misfire codes only then you can track your problems. plugs and wire are a likely cause though.

[ September 02, 2002: Message edited by: Only4U ]</p>
    2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

Don't worry about the PCM mine is like that too, it's not going to do anything.
      Check out the plugs. Then check the wires/coil packs for the correct resistance. Should be able to find that info in your chilton's manual or by searching for the other 5 billion posts I made on how to do it. You should find your problem there. GOod luck man.

Comment

I think you are getting some bad connections to the PCM.

Get a new bracket for it, get it mounted tight & secure, take out the cables and check for corrosion. If there isn't any, put the cables back in and give it a shot. If it doesn't work then, start checking coils, etc.
        2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

Before I changed the plugs and wires last time I took all the coil packs to auto zone and had them check them all and they were good. But I'll do it again cuz somethings really messed up. Oh another thing. The entire time I drove it the SES light blinked contiously. But I think it was just telling me it was missfiring.

Only4U- Thanks. I've been coming here for probablly the last 2 months. All I usually do is just read. But sounded like a good time to start posting cuz I need some help. :D

Comment

I would have to say its the lack of air in your location :D

but really, I have no ideas that have not already been said. Good luck.
            White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

It's getting worse. Today I started it to drive it up on car ramps and it wouldnt rev past 2k. Now it doesnt want to even stay running and I havent touched anything. I tried undoing the bolts that hold the wire connections onto the PCM. I think they are 7mm and they didnt seem to want to come out. They just kept turning and turning. But when I went to tighten them back up I had to turn them for a while. How long are they? Also do they come all the way out or turn so far then lift the connector up or do you slide it one way or soemthing? I wanna take the PCM out and clean up all the connections and get a new bracket for it. Is there a way to hold the plugs and wires off the exhaust manifolds and off the intake manifolds? I got high temp double silicone wires and they only have like 1000 miles on them but I have noticed some black spots on them. Does this mean that they are arcing off the metal or just getting burnt? I'm gonna take all 3 coil packs to autozone in a couple days and get them checked out. It wont start unless I hold the throttle to the floor and then as soon as it starts it'll spit and sputter for about 3 seconds then the low trac and brake light come on and it stalls.

Comment

Got it fixed. The cat was plugged up. I cut it off and put a pipe in place of it. Sounds a lot better and seems to run a lot better. :eek:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                  by ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                  1 week ago
                • RPDRed6
                  For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                  by RPDRed6
                  Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                  3 weeks ago
                • ssms5411
                  No start problem
                  by ssms5411
                  So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X