dealership said that pcm can't be flashed? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dealership said that pcm can't be flashed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dealership said that pcm can't be flashed?

i went in today and asked them to flash my 96 camaro and they said that they can't after they brought it in. i went from 3.23's to 3.42. is this true? i thought that they could be.

thanks
    Nick<br /><br />1996 White RS

The PCM can be flashed but most dealerships won't do it.
    1994 Camaro<br />3.4L V6 Automatic<br />K&N FIPK&Gold Oil Filter,Ravin Performance Exhaustw/Dynomax MandrelBent3\"I-Pipe&S Pipe&Catco 3\" HiFlow Cat.,ASP Crank and High AMP Alternator,U.D. Pulley Set, Bosch Spark Plugs and Oxygen Sensors, Taylor Wires, B&M E.ShiftPlus, 160 thermostat,Zexel Torsen L.S.D., CSI Remote Mount Electric Water Pump & Temp. Controller & Flex Hoses, ALM. Drivshaft, Diamond SubFram Conn.<br />COMING SOON: 350 or 502 RAMJET ENGINE & Big Block Hood<br />NJ V6 F-Body Club<br /><a href=\"http://tristategm.com/NJFbV6/\" target=\"_blank\">http://tristategm.com/NJFbV6/</a><br />Street Lethal F-Body Association <br /><a href=\"http://www.slfba.com./index.html\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.slfba.com./index.html</a>

Comment

If it were something they did then they would flash the PCM for you. If they did not do the work, then most likely they will not. I'd call around & see what other dealerships say. Usually to flash a PCM they will also want the VIN# of a car w/the same engine, trans, year model, gears, etc. as you do. Your only alternative would be to purchase SLP's gear correction kit, & I believe it's almost $200. Either that, or find someone somewhere that can do a custom PCM for you.
      2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

Fin,
        Do you have the part number for the gear correction kit form spl
        Thanks
        1994 black camaro 3.4l m5<br />18\" chrome rims 235/40r18<br />Shaved door handle\'s and emblems<br />wings west ground effects <br />harwood hood, custom interior

Comment

simply tell them you had a wreck, and had the rear end replaced with the y87 package and you forgot to get the computer flashed.

Just pay them 100 bux and they will flash it. Or find another dealership and give them the story.
          It is a factory option and factory programming so they should not have a problem doing it.

Comment

last week i went to the dealership to get my pcm changed for my 3.42 gears. they said they will try and do it and will cost $60 and take about 20 minutes. well, i brought the car back the next day, and the guy tried to do it, but then he said its not possible. my car is a '98.

Comment

The reason why is its as tepromental as a computer bios.. if you flash it wrong, it can be rendered dead, so why would a dealer want to take upon the liability?
              03 Subaru WRB WRX<br />Clear parking lights<br />Autometer Phantom Boost guage

Comment

I've found a dealer that says they'll do it for me. I have a Camaro...can I use a VIN from a Firebird of the same year?
                1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ravenp:
                  I've found a dealer that says they'll do it for me. I have a Camaro...can I use a VIN from a Firebird of the same year?<hr></blockquote>

Yes
                  2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bustacap54:
                    i went in today and asked them to flash my 96 camaro and they said that they can't after they brought it in. i went from 3.23's to 3.42. is this true? i thought that they could be.

thanks
                    <hr></blockquote>

You went from 3:23's to 3:42's? Is your car a manual?
                    If so, then the dealer is telling the truth. They can't help you.
                    They can reprogram the computer if your car is an automatic, because autos have two different options from the factory, either 3:08's or 3:42's. In that case, they simply use the VIN from a car with the Y87 (factory 3:42) package, and it's all good.
                    But manual cars keep the 3:23 gears with or without the Y87 package. So there is no prexisting program for a MANUAL car with 3:42's.
                    You will have to go with the SLP device to correct your speedo...or just live with it. Shouldn't be off by more than 2%.

Comment

lol not true at all

you use the same program that is put on a automatic with the performance axle y87 is not the option of course for 3.42's

The program that is on an auto will work just fine with a manual

Comment

SO uhh ---

Since I have 3:42 in my '02 Manual, can I get it reflashed with an automatic Y87 VIN# and get it fixed?
                        2002 Camaro SS 6 Spd<br />Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Still breaking it in<p>Traded in - 2002 V6 5 Spd Camaro.<p>\"I\'ll never trust squirrels again.\"

Comment

Yes it should be able to be done. Your speedometer should be completely electronic. The VSS, which is a permanent magnet in the transmission, sends a pulsing AC voltage signal to the PCM and the PCM converts that to MPH. The factor that it would use is your gear ratio which can be changed to any number. It doesn't have to be the standard 3.08, 3.23, 3.42, 3.73, hell it could be 6.97 for all the algorithm cares. If I am not mistaken, automatics base their shift points off of your vehicle speed, not engine. That VSS is also what controls your cruise control. I believe what was stated before was that the dealership just doesn't want to take the liability in rendering your PCM dead. The programming takes a full 30 minutes (9600 baud). If at any time during that transmission the programmer loses contact with the PCM or loses power from the car (the programmers are powered from the OBD-II harness) then your car is kaput.

As far as the VINs.. transmission is not part of the VIN #. See below:

VIN 1 G 1 F S 1 1 S 0 T 2 1 0 0 0 0 1
                          1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

1 - Indicates Nation Of Origin.
                          2 - Indicates Manufacturer.
                          3 - Indicates Vehicle Division.
                          4 - Indicates Carline Body Code.
                          5 - Indicates Carline/Series.
                          6 - Indicates Body Type.
                          7 - Indicates Restraint System.
                          8 - Indicates Engine ID.
                          9 - Indicates Check Digit.
                          10 - Indicates Model Year.
                          11 - Indicates Assembly Plant.
                          12-17 - Indicates Plant Sequential Number.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by P-nut-:
                            The programming takes a full 30 minutes (9600 baud). If at any time during that transmission the programmer loses contact with the PCM or loses power from the car (the programmers are powered from the OBD-II harness) then your car is kaput. <hr></blockquote>

This kinda off the subject. But I thought it(flashing of the pcm memory) was done at 14400 baud. Please shoot me an email I'ld like to know exactly how much you know about pcm programming.
                            khandlon@att.net
                            Keith - 99 'maro - White M5 - bumpstick and boltons - 13.65 @ 101 N/A
                            "I ain't too big to listen to the rumors, I'm just too @#$% big to pay attention to them" - Dr. Dre
                            http://seppo.hopto.org/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X